Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I have not head of anyone layering the beds with different material
I know people have layered aggregate type materials with good success. What I haven't heard of is foam in a horizontal bed or an intentional empty space.

But, there are plenty of people out there growing in pure foam with no other medium. Check out Bright Agrotech's Zipgrow towers or look on Youtube for Larry Athey's homemade vertical towers.

The empty space is not crazy either. I've already had it in a system that was unintentional. The roots that grew through the holes in the top bucket into the bottom drain bucket were always bright white, happy and healthy. They were mostly hanging in air during the drain cycle with a tiny bit of nutrient solution at the bottom of the bucket below the drain level.

I might even be able to get away without the hydroton layer on top but a dry layer is suggested to avoid algae growth. The algae could be blocked with plastic but at least hydroton is reusable and potentially multi-purpose. Also, it will give good shade to the foam layer so any worms won't have to flee the light.