Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Link to red claw info

Prawns don't work in a recirc aquaponics system. Been there, failed at that. They need room. You need a gregarios species. In an aquaponics system you end up with just one male and a bunch of females. The meat is in the males.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Thanks Stucco for sharing the info. I actually got into aquaponics from hearing a co-worker several years back, talk about wanting to raise prawns and tomatoes aquaponically. Everyone else thought he was 'kinda out there'...

Thanks for your input too, Badflash.

Not what I was really hoping to hear though....
    Between the two of you, you guys are 'peeing in my wheaties'.... ....when I finnish setting up my outside system and start to cycle the water....."Then" you can pee in "it" !....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

In many states there are exemptions for home gardening and aquatic pets. Find a local agricultural agent and see if they can help. The key points in most of these regulations is to prevent invasive species from escaping, and protect established buisness that pay bribes from competition.

I took the plung and ordered some red claws from Stick Fins. They should arrive on 2/12. Been doing a lot of reading and got the book they recommend on their website. They really do appear to be a perfect match for tilapia. They are year-around breeders to boot.

Interestingly enough, they need veggie matter as well as protien feed. I got a 50# bag of alfalfa pellets today for $15. I vacuum pack most of that for the future. I'll get some sinking pellets, and I should be all set.

It amazes me that you can grow 4 of these guys per square foot and they won't rip each other apart. They can get to over 8 ounces in a year and have a much larger portion of tail meat than any other crayfish.

Wow Badflash, that's great. I'll be looking forward to your updates on this new project.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Got 27 redclaws on Friday. They range from 2" to 4". They look pretty good so far. I'll keep you posted.

Members

And pictures. Are red claw agressive. I've put hundreds of yabbies into the system and what the fish didn't clean up they did themselves. Want to try Marron. Kinda like a fresh water lobster.

Of the three Australian commercial crays, the red claw grows the largest & fastest and is the least aggressive towards its own. You can pack them 4 to the square foot without problems. They do need hides, but so far I've seen no issues. They need to be kept away from any fish that might view them as a meal. They walk right over each other without making any sort of aggressive response. The males are really stunning. I'm hoping they will get a little bluer.

Easy & cheap to feed. Mostly alfalfa pellets supplemented with sinking feed 30% protein.

Here are some pics of one of the males. I'm hoping after he molts he'll have better color:

Very cool.....
    What's the length of the male in the picture Badflash ?