I agree we should allot certain wasted resources to aid our own nation rather than others (both foreign and domestic), but I think your focus on WHAT resources is misplaced. Far more money is wasted on other things than giving aid to other countries, and to be honest we HAVE to do this if for no other reason that for OURSELVES (plus some may argue it's the Christian thing to do, which if we have the resources, I too agree with that).

The global economy is far too complex and ever-influencing for us to simply close our doors, and we ARE a world economy whether we like it or not. To let our neighbors starve and fall into chaos and war would doom us.

Let me share to you one of the most interesting pieces of wisdom my father shared with me. As I was visiting one of his restaurants located in a mall's food court, I scoped out his competition. I spoke with one of the owners next to him. When I returned I told him, "Dad, the guy running the biggest unit other than you is an idiot. You could put him out of business in a few months." He replied to me, "Son, it's better to have an enemy that you know who you can keep weak. If I beat him out of here, my new enemy might be smarter and stronger. I give him advice when his business is getting too slow and talk to him to give him hope. I don't take all his customers that way he has just enough to survive." I stood there stunned at his genius.

I always knew the saying, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer", but I never truly understood its practical applications until that moment.

Basically, the US needs to tread carefully and do what we need to in order to ensure our safety and prosperity. China used to have a closed door policy, and as soon as they became an active member of the global economy, they have been growing more rapidly than you can believe. The US has sold a majority of its national debt to who? China and Japan? Well, I don't need to tell you, we're not alone and we can't act as if we're alone in the world without compromising the welfare of our friends, family, and country.

God bless.