Hi Reefbug.

Quote Originally Posted by REEFBUG
Here are the questions: How do I deal with solids? As the overflow from FT to beds will have to be near the top of FT,
If you build a slo-drain, it will help get the solids off the bottom. Check out the drawing....hope it helps.
Go a little bigger on the size of pipe for your FT drain, then you think you may need. This is one time 'bigger is better'. You can cut slots in the lower section of the slo-drain.....I used a cut off saw......or drill holes in it.
Your water level will be about where the tee is on the slo drain.
The pipe above the water level, needs to be 'open', otherwise you'll have a siphon, instaed of a drain.

I just noticed, I drew the drain on the GB incorrectly...If your doing a bell siphon, the drain will be comming out the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by REEFBUG
Are galvanized troughs OK for a GB or FT? I would think not, because it has Zinc in the coating. Is painting OK and with what paint?
Your correct about the zinc. You could line them with rubber pond liner.
I would think you would want to use an epoxy paint....some thing like this.....
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... %20paint/0

You want to have deep grow beds, especially with your heat. More voulume will take longer to heat up. I even put some shade cloth over the GB's themselves to help cut down on the sun/heat.