Members

Just another Spud from Idaho

Howdy ya'll. Very interested in strating my own system and the information overload is amazing. Still gathering info so I don't ask questions I can answer myself. Would love to know if there is anybody else near southeastern Idaho or Western Montana that i could compare notes with. For now goodbye and God Bless. Happy New Year to everyone

Re: Just another Spud from Idaho

Welcome to the show. Word of caution...oops....too late...I was going to tell you that Aquaponics is addictive and there is no shot or cure of anykind that can help, but you've already been bitten so enjoy the high fever and mind blowing ideas that pop into your head because your infected for life.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Welcome! As a recent AP man myself (current system started in Feb 2013, had a small goldfish system in 2012) I know what you mean about information overload. After you've sorted things out and have a plan, you'll inevitably tweak your system and load yourself up with more information as you become more experienced. It keeps things interesting as AP continues to challenge and inspire the more you get into it.

One thing that I found very helpful when starting out was to design my system and then post about it for comments/feedback before starting the build. Folks here are very helpful and generous with their knowledge and will help you avoid some of the early hard lessons.

Members

Thanks for your input. Eddie- Submitting a written plan and drawings to this forum is exactly what i was planning on doing before i build. Currently keeping an eye out for cheap supplies that i may be able to use. Just today i noticed a lot hot tub shop is selling used pallets for $2. These are not your ordinary pallets. I havent measured em but i am guessing they measure 8 or 9 feet long by 6 or 7 feet wide.

Figure that i can use em for a diy greenhouse floor or tear em apart and use the wood for any number of things. They have 18 for sale, i am thinking of offering em 20 bucks to take em all at once. We will see what happens.

Members

JCO, where were you two days ago when i stumbled onto aquaponics. You could have saved me sooooo much time and money. Oh well, let the adventure begin.

I also understand that you raise koi fish and I would like to discuss with you the pros and cons of using koi over other fish. They just seem to be a better option as far as resale goes to me,

I have been raising KOI for over 40 years and they are more preferable to me because of their value monetarily. Tilapia can be bought in the store for about $4 to $6 per lb filet and catfish are also cheap, but I can sell a 1 year old KOI for anywhere from $100 to $500 bucks depending on color and conformation.

To me, it's a no brainer plus I like watching them in the pond. I have 9 breeders that range in length from over 24" to 36" and have had them for many years now and every spring they provide me with more fry than I have room for. 1 mature female can produce over 200,000 eggs....think about it. Right now I have about 60 in my swimming pool that will be 2 years old this April and ready for Craigslist, Aquabid.com and local sales. The winner of the Internationl KOI Show in Japan, Alexandria...sold for $2.5 million dollars.

By the last week of January 2008, all that could possibly be done had been done and it was time to transport Alexandria from the Sakai Farm in Hiroshima to the Tokyo Ryutsu Center where the All Japan Show is held. Over 100 boxes of koi belonging to hobbyists from around the world were carefully transported by air, from Hiroshima International Airport to Haneda Airport which is just a few miles from the Ryutsu Center. Alexandria settled in nicely to her show tank on Thursday evening awaiting the judging which commenced on Friday morning.

The show was judged by a total of 84 Shinkokai members who’s first task of the day was to select a Grand Champion. Each of the 84 judges has one vote and Grand Champion is determined by a simple majority. The first vote yielded 5 contenders for Grand Champion, a Sanke, two Showa and two Kohaku one of which was Alexandria.

The second vote narrowed the field to a Dainichi Showa and Alexandria, and the third and final vote resulted with Alexandria awarded Grand Champion of the 39th All Japan Combined Nishikigoi Show

In the years that have passed since I began writing the Tategoi series for KOI USA in 1995, I have been fortunate to have been witness to a number wonderful koi, but never in my wildest fantasies did I dream that I would be have the privilege of procuring a koi that could take Grand Champion at the Greatest Koi Show on Earth, the All Japan Show.
    You could breed a winner yourself and not even know it if you don't know your stuff about KOI.

They are hardy and can take the cold weather but you do need to study up on them before you start buying. That way you don't waste your money buying the culls that you will find in most pet stores etc. Buy good stock and you will have good stock to sell. There will always be culls but far less if you start with good stock and in order to do that you must become a student of KOI. Learn everything there is to know about them, color, conformation....everything before you buy. Patience Grasshopper...
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    I have been raising KOI for over 40 years and they are more preferable to me because of their value monetarily. Tilapia can be bought in the store for about $4 to $6 per lb filet and catfish are also cheap, but I can sell a 1 year old KOI for anywhere from $100 to $500 bucks depending on color and conformation.

To me, it's a no brainer plus I like watching them in the pond. I have 9 breeders that range in length from over 24" to 36" and have had them for many years now and every spring they provide me with more fry than I have room for. 1 mature female can produce over 200,000 eggs....think about it. Right now I have about 60 in my swimming pool that will be 2 years old this April and ready for Craigslist, Aquabid.com and local sales. The winner of the Internationl KOI Show in Japan, Alexandria...sold for $2.5 million dollars.

By the last week of January 2008, all that could possibly be done had been done and it was time to transport Alexandria from the Sakai Farm in Hiroshima to the Tokyo Ryutsu Center where the All Japan Show is held. Over 100 boxes of koi belonging to hobbyists from around the world were carefully transported by air, from Hiroshima International Airport to Haneda Airport which is just a few miles from the Ryutsu Center. Alexandria settled in nicely to her show tank on Thursday evening awaiting the judging which commenced on Friday morning.

The show was judged by a total of 84 Shinkokai members who’s first task of the day was to select a Grand Champion. Each of the 84 judges has one vote and Grand Champion is determined by a simple majority. The first vote yielded 5 contenders for Grand Champion, a Sanke, two Showa and two Kohaku one of which was Alexandria.

The second vote narrowed the field to a Dainichi Showa and Alexandria, and the third and final vote resulted with Alexandria awarded Grand Champion of the 39th All Japan Combined Nishikigoi Show

In the years that have passed since I began writing the Tategoi series for KOI USA in 1995, I have been fortunate to have been witness to a number wonderful koi, but never in my wildest fantasies did I dream that I would be have the privilege of procuring a koi that could take Grand Champion at the Greatest Koi Show on Earth, the All Japan Show.
    You could breed a winner yourself and not even know it if you don't know your stuff about KOI.

They are hardy and can take the cold weather but you do need to study up on them before you start buying. That way you don't waste your money buying the culls that you will find in most pet stores etc. Buy good stock and you will have good stock to sell. There will always be culls but far less if you start with good stock and in order to do that you must become a student of KOI. Learn everything there is to know about them, color, conformation....everything before you buy. Patience Grasshopper...
    Well done JCO
    Yust me thinking