Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Don
nice looking system....
Just wondering why you do not use an overflow from your FT to the Filter then pump to your GB?
That was one of my next "projects" to do. My original thought was to make an overflow to the filter.....have the filter overflow into a sump, and pump the sump to the grow beds. The only reason why I haven't done that yet is because (and correct me if I'm wrong), in order to do that, I would have to LOWER my current filter practically on the ground (because the overflow from the tank can't be higher than the tank as it is now). So I would have to lower that filter below the height of the tank, which then seems like it would be a P.I.T.A. to drain out (since my drainage valve would now be on the floor and not over a bucket as it is now).

Also, does your FT water level fluctuate a lot? I had a similar design in one of my earlier systems and it seemed that the water fluctuated too much for my liking....
Yes it does (mainly in the summer) when it's hot. That's the main reason why I considered the solution above so there would be a constant height in the tank. I just am not sure how to logistically set that up, given my current hardware and layout.

I do like the underwater vacuum idea...Please let us know how that works for you.
Thanks for showing us your system
I somehow feel like the vacuum idea is good IN THEORY, but I also feel like I can be doing "something" more to the design to make it a little better. But it seems to be working, in the fact that it's sucking lightweight particles from one end of the tank, and moving them over to the pump side of the tank.