Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope
Vitamin C removes chlorine and also cloramines, I think! I've been using ascorbic acid since they told us about it in this thread: Removing chlorine from tap water with Vitamin C? Clik

I buy my ascorbic acid in the health foods store in Billings .... I buy it in bulk by the pounds, rather than prepackaged!
I use charcoal and zeolites to remove ammonia, etc. I just go to the thrift shop and pick up new or used pantyhose/nylons for $.50 each, pour some zeolites (when I can get it) or WalMart aquarium charcoal into the 'sock, tie a knot in it, cut off the excess, and put it in the tank .... it floats around because it gets an air bubble in it, but after a few days it sinks ..... when it gets clogged with algae, I take it out and swish it around in some of the water I draw out, then I put it back in to go again .... I only use them two or three times before I throw them away! Zeolites are the best, but they are expensive, so I buy them at thrift stores (they are used for removing odors, etc., put them in a nylon, and use them the same way as the charcoal .... the good thing about zeolites is that every month or so, you just take them out, soak them overnight in water with a couple of spoons of aquarium salt, rinse them real good in non-city water and you're good to go!

The only problem with buying the nylons is that the gal in the thrift store would probably think I'm a cross-dresser, so I have the wife buy them for me!