Threaded View

Members

Re: Hello from Kearney MO

Sorry for being such a slacker. At times, life takes a set of strange twists and turns that can beat us down or give us opportunities to learn new things about ourselves. I have chosen to learn. At the end of december, I fell down the deck stairs heading out to the greenhouse and destroyed my knee. After surgery to clean up shattered bone and reattach the patellar tendons in my thigh, I have learned that I must be patient and content with the new slower me. Never said learning was easy. With that said, I am well behind where I wanted to be, but I am making progress. Today The permanent power to the greenhouse was turned on. Yeah, no more extension cords running across the yard. I have 12 half barrel grow beds that are plumbed and running, filled with media, but no plants. I am still fine tuning the loop siphons. I have a 4x10 dwc raft table that is working great with a few tomatoes and peppers in there. I have 2 330 gallon conjoined ibc totes buried in the ground as my sump system, and two 330 gallon IBC tote fish tanks. The tanks drain into a radical flow filter barrel, then into a vortex barrel and then back into the sumps. Like I said, I have made progress, but not as fast as I wanted too. A lot of friends want to learn about aquaponics, but when it comes time to dig a 4x8x4 pit to put the sumps in, they are all busy. AP is a passion. A lot of people tell me how easy it is, but they don't have a system they are working on. They see a little on youtube and they are instant experts. Aquaponics will challenge you, and you have to think outside the box many times.

I have included some pics from this spring. I will take some new pictures tomorrow and get those uploaded soon.

God Bless to all,
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images