Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Worms

Re: Red Worms

Quote Originally Posted by wh33t
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    I buy mine of Amazon a few pounds at a time. They have both red wigglers and european nightcrawlers (which I use as fishing bait often).
    What do you keep your water temps at?
    My systems are only outdoor now; so, whatever mother nature sees fit! If we get record low winters again, I may lose my Tilapia, but this last winter I only had goldfish in there, and they didn't care. Some people use catfish because they withstand the winters. Just like you want to use the "right plant in the right place" you want to have the "right fish in the right place" meaning consider your local conditions.

With your indoor system, whatever the water at should be fine for almost all conditions. I assume you keep your home cooled/heated; therefore, it should be more than okay!

Catfish eh. Do they tolerate novice Aqua-grower mistakes as well as Gold Fish?
    Current Aquaponics System

11 Gold Fish
    Aquarium = Custom 90 Gallon Raised Pond on casters
    Flower bed = Custom 4' x 8' Flood Table (Bell Siphon)
    Bio Filter = 6 Gallon Polypropylene Tote with Hydroton (Bell Siphon)

Pretty close from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Pretty close from what I hear.
    Excellent

11 Gold Fish

Members

Walmarts and feed stores sell red wigglers (and nightcrawlers) in N Houston. I' in Magnolia.

I'm just getting up to speed on red wigglers. A local worm farmer sells them for $20/lb so I bought a few lb's and a worm compost bin.

One pound will be divided up among the grow beds and I'm also planning to add a fish poo filter in the sump tank so I don't have to keep changing out filters every day or so. I found out that reds can live under water as long as the water is oxygenated and the sump tank water level will be going up and down constantly so this should work.

The plan is to put some expanded clay and red wigglers in a large container (used pool tablet bucket with holes in the bottom) and sit it in the sump tank and let the SLO drain onto it and drain out the bottom into the sump tank.

Today's guinea pig worm has been on the bottom of the sump all day and still wiggling.... what a trooper.
    Nothin to it but to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven11
    I'm just getting up to speed on red wigglers. A local worm farmer sells them for $20/lb so I bought a few lb's and a worm compost bin.

One pound will be divided up among the grow beds and I'm also planning to add a fish poo filter in the sump tank so I don't have to keep changing out filters every day or so. I found out that reds can live under water as long as the water is oxygenated and the sump tank water level will be going up and down constantly so this should work.

The plan is to put some expanded clay and red wigglers in a large container (used pool tablet bucket with holes in the bottom) and sit it in the sump tank and let the SLO drain onto it and drain out the bottom into the sump tank.

Today's guinea pig worm has been on the bottom of the sump all day and still wiggling.... what a trooper.
    I don't have red wrigglers in my flower bed right now. They are some "bait" worm from a fishing shop down the road. I periodically see them poking their heads out of the clay beds and then returning back under. My flower bed floods and drains several times an hour and the tobacco plant I am growing has exploded in growth. I presume they are helping.

11 Gold Fish

I put the new Fish Poo Filter together today and added the red wigglers.

Here's a video of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi0BqmVh ... e=youtu.be

Update:

Well my idea to add a nylon (door) screen layer at the bottom of the inside gravel container didn't work out as planned. I removed the screen after it got clogged with particles of something... not sure, maybe dead algae bits from cleaning the inside walls of the fish tank.

I checked the filter today and saw the water not draining well at all. It seems ok now that I pulled it out. Good to see the worms still in the gravel.