i was thinking of trying that for some filtration material..
i'm just starting to plan my larger indoor system, i've had an 8' kiddie pool full of water in the basment next to my "ap system" so i just had to throw minnows and crayfish in, but the pool will be my main fish tank when i get going..
after the yellow perch and bluegill move into the big system, i'll have five 55 gallon glass fishtanks, and one 120 gal glass tank to play mad scientist with..
right now i'm thinking 1 daphnia/green tank (to feed the minnows) 2 minnnow/crayfish tanks, one tank for baby minnows, and one tank for breeding the crayfish.. that still leaves me two tanks, so maybe glass shrimp in one.. and maybe fingerlings for the big system in the big glass tank..
i'm in northeast ohio, we had our first hard frost last night... last winter the temps in the basement tanks never really got below 65, not too cold, but not warm enough for many fish.. i'm enjoying working with "local" fish and inverts.. every system is a challenge, but my wife thinks this is the best hobby i've had..