TCLynx, he lives in North Carolina somewhere...however if he is surrounded by national forest, it's very rural and to raise chickens and ducks in that setting is a chore. They have to be locked up securely at night and even then sometimes they aren't safe.

When I first moved to my horse ranch in Missouri in the foothills of the Ozarks from having lived in close to town, I had chickens and ducks (crested Khaki Campbell Ducks...beautiful ducks). The chickens... I had no problem in getting them to roost in the hen house, however once the ducks discovered the pond on the property, you couldn't get them to come back to the barn yard and within a matter of a few weeks the Coyotes and Fox and no telling what other critters had devastated my duck flock to extinction.

I live in an urban area now and still had trouble with predictors killing my chickens even though they were secured each night. Never found out what is was, tred trapping to no avail...wasn't happy about it, but finally got rid of the chickens.

With that in mind, it would take some serious thought as to what else could be safely raised in the setting this member lives in.