Hello.

My wife and I currently live in a condo on the north shore of Tahoe. We've been coming up with different ways of shortening our food supply chain and had been talking about hydroponics for a while. Without a south facing window, and being at 6500 feet we have a number of small challenges.

Since we discovered aquaponics, our level of inspiration has increased significantly and were ready to make an indoor setup and love the thought of raising tilapia & lettuce/spinach & other leafy goodness to eat!

I have a couple of questions before pulling the trigger on a tank. I am looking at a 35 gallon fish tank and wonder if that is large enough to raise edible tilapia? If so, how many fish would be optimal in such a space?

Lastly, what size grow bed would you use for a 35 gallon tank?

Trying to move forward soon and we are thinking that an actual fish tank would 'look' better in our condo than a rubber-maid bin... Once we get a tank, we plan to figure out a stand and then a bed.... Then connect the dots, right?

Thanks to everyone who helps this site and forum be what it is! From those who host and administer this forum, to those who are sharing and contributing to the forum... I am truly grateful.