Threaded View

Members

Hello from Northern Idaho

Hi, my name is MaryAnn and got really interested in aquaponics passing the time with a colicy infant about four years ago. Well, he's four years old now and I think we're finally ready (and have the time) to build something! Before I go sawing barrels and pipes up I would much appreciate any input you've got for me. (See attached drawing).

The plan is for an indoor system using 3, 55gal. bung barrels, and 4in. piping for some grow towers. A barrel is used for a fish tank, sump tank, and two grow beds, with the towers above the grow beds (medala media as the filtering). Obviously, I'm trying to conserve space. The system is designed to be constant flow, and I'm hoping (wondering) if it will grow out about 12lbs. of tilapia fish in the tank.

My biggest question/concern about this design is the overflow from the fish tank to the sump. Will this work? Will it pick up the fish solids? Is there a better way without having the pump in the fish tank? Otherwise I might need to nix the sump and have two, half full fish tanks that are connected together by a pipe or something.
    Other question is piping. Are the sizes indicated (1 1/4" connected to the pump, and 2" to drain the growbeds), enough? Too much? Suggestions?
    I'm very excited to finally get to do this, and hubby is on board too, (finally)! Any feedback would be very appreciated. Thanks! MaryAnn (Mayflower)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tankcol.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	4465  
    Attached Images Attached Images