Hi everybody. I am just beginning to start an aquaponics project here in South India and figured it would be best to introduce myself and my project.

I am planning to start a small aquaponics build here in India using locally sourced materials. The current plan (which is flexible) is a gravity fed system with approximately 1500 liters (400 gal) of water in the fish tank max. I have an action list of things that I need to gather, things that will be potential issues, things that will be issues... Ideally I would love to use coconut husk and make a drip system, but it seems there is much more information out there on gravity systems, and we are looking to get our feet wet with this project.

A big issue is going to be keeping the fish alive considering all of the brownouts here. I have looked at either running the entire system off of a battery backup, or just running an aerator pump off a battery (less power draw). Any suggestions on batteries or pumps to use?

I am also planning on using some of these to house my fish, sump, and grow beds. They seem available, hygienic, and UV resistant. Any suggestions?

Anywho, there is much more to go, and I am just really getting started in getting things quoted and material sources identified. I guess Im officially not a lurker anymore...

Brian