Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: How much food to gain 1 lb of fish

you might contact the food mfg and ask them what what research studies they have with their foods and the performance of those foods.
    are the fish basically carniverous, herbivorious, or omnivorious. the growth rate of bass was mentioned, if those bass are raised on beef heart the ratio is much better then using a general commercial fish food. beef heart is what i fed the bass that i played with and they had a fast growth rate. (in west texas at the time the local butchers threw away the hearts so they were free)

there is a vast difference in usuable nutrients in pet foods. how they derive at the advertised levels of proteen, fat, ash, etc. i saw a study years ago on channel cats. in this study the cat had a ratio of 1:1. the study was done at a large commercial hatchery. it was not sponsored by the pet food industry.

the film was a complete study on the channel cat in commercial fishing. film covered breeding, hormon injections to get the females to spawn, the set-up using 55 steel drums for individual spawning sites in a mud bottom pond, a paddle wheel device for circulating fresh water and air to the eggs, methalene blue as an antifungal for the eggs, through harvesting of the market size fish.

"I have never seen a 1:1 ratio."

Neither have I.....but apparently the 4 different sources I referenced have.

Members

Some of these operations invest a lot of money developing their programs. Something I would say most of us don't have access to the resuolts. Their formulas are not published.and certainly not closed systems.

1:1 sounds a lot like perpetual motion... The fish excrete solid waste and they move/use energy. Lets not get into energy/nutrients spent if your fish try to reproduce. if fish are gaining 1lb for every 1lb of food then they are getting food/nutrients from somewhere else too.

brian

Members

certainly not my fish, they are pigs!

Much of the weight of a cell is water. Depending on things like the type, age, size, etc of the fish... only about 20% - 30% of the food is used for "growth" but up to 75% - 80% of the new growth is water; so you can (at least theoretically) have greater than 1lb of growth per pound of food.
    It's all about the fish, dude.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by David - WI
    Much of the weight of a cell is water. Depending on things like the type, age, size, etc of the fish... only about 20% - 30% of the food is used for "growth" but up to 75% - 80% of the new growth is water; so you can (at least theoretically) have greater than 1lb of growth per pound of food.
    Especially if you are feeding dry food.
    It's Black Gold, It's Vermi Tea!!