Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Members

Re: Dying fish and Yellow vegies

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    As to your question on another post this morning, you may not have enough bio-filter to support a larger amount of fish.

As to plants, it is too early for there to be any plants in your grow beds, for there are not enough nutrients to support them. Wait until your Nitrates are around 10 to 20 ppm before planting, otherwise, you will experience what you have experienced.

You must have patience for nature is on its own time schedule.

Oliver

I realize that I may need more grow bed, but I am running out of space. I am using a 14" bio filter to filter the water in the tank, I noticed when I started using it my water looked much clearer. I had posted earlier that I was going to remove it but decided against it. I respect your guidance with my system but, when I was researching this to start building, the information I found then said to start cycling my system with just water then add plants then add fish in that order. So I have plants in the grow beds and have for some time now. My plants, as mentioned earlier, were doing ok but slightly yellow, the seaweed with iron seems to be working well for that. So I am at a dilemma, sort of, I cannot afford to start over and I need this to produce. All of the advice I have been getting so far has been great and I appreciate all of it. I guess what I need right now is, what is my next step to ensure healthy plants, fish and most importantly bacteria?

I think your grow space is fine.

2 - 3'x6'x1' = ~270 gallons
    1 - 3'x5'x1' = ~110 gallons

In a few months when it's cycled and stable you should have enough grow beds to support ~60 lbs of fish.

If you wanted to increase your fish density over 60lbs you could add more grow beds, but grow beds just dont seem to be the problem here.

Personally, i wouldnt use a bio filter with this setup. If water clarity is a problem, make sure you have enough water pumping to turn over the volume of water a couple of time every hour and it should clear up on its own.

brian

Members

Quote Originally Posted by bcotton
    I think your grow space is fine.

2 - 3'x6'x1' = ~270 gallons
    1 - 3'x5'x1' = ~110 gallons

In a few months when it's cycled and stable you should have enough grow beds to support ~60 lbs of fish.

If you wanted to increase your fish density over 60lbs you could add more grow beds, but grow beds just dont seem to be the problem here.

Personally, i wouldnt use a bio filter with this setup. If water clarity is a problem, make sure you have enough water pumping to turn over the volume of water a couple of time every hour and it should clear up on its own.

brian
    My clarity was good before the bio filter, but it seemed to get even better after. I am at 16 goldfish now they average 5", should I add a few more?

My system is similar size to yours (300gallon stock tank+100gallon sump+55gallon fingerling tank+370gallons of grow beds). I ran my system with about 22 tilapia ~12-15lbs of fish for a long time. If your water is cycled, you can start adding more fish, but there's nothing wrong with what you have right now.

Even after the system is cycled, it still takes a few months for it to really mature.

I recently added a 4 dozen catfish and perch fingerlings. But the driving ammonia engine in my tank is still those 20 or so tilapia and my plant growth is outstanding.

From what i understand about your system, I would take out the biofilter. You want the bacteria in your grow beds to mature and break down the ammonia and solids for your plants to use as nutrients.

brian

Members

Well I removed the bio filter and increased the aeration, the water is still looking good and the fish are always hungry. The fish were eating about a 1/2 oz of food twice a day the first week, then all of a sudden the were acting like I hadn't fed them in a week. Now they are eating 1 oz twice a day and they are stating to act hungry again. They have grown about 2 " in the last 2 weeks. My plants have all shot up in the past 3 or 4 days also, they are looking healthier. Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

It's what we're here for!

My fish dont eat when they are stressed. Right after a move, temperature swings, cold water or even if i mess around in the tank with a dip net trying to fish out one of the egg carrying females can make them all eat a lot less for a few days. So it sounds like things are starting to take care of themselves.

brian

Members

Tested everything today, pH is still 8.0, ammonia 0.25, nitrite and nitrate still 0.

Members

no feed, and relax.. have a beer
    patience will get you there

Members

So stop feeding them for how long?