Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Members

Re: Solar Panels and Backup UPS Battery backup

i've seen them on "thatpetplace" web site, but have used cotton balls

Thanks, cotton balls never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by samtheman
    A friend of mine gave me an 980watt APC SmartUPS 1500 laying around that was hooked up to computer servers at one time and was wondering if I can use it in my Aquaponics setup probably to run the air pumps as a backup, I guess I could do a test and see how it performs, I wish it could run my 70 watt main pump also but no sure how long it could last. This is the link : http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Sm ... 23633.aspx

I also have one deep cycle 180aph 12v battery that I would like to integrate in my system, I have a total of 80watt solar power panels laying around that I wish I could somehow use it as a backup for my system. I guess what I am asking is if any of you guys can give me a couple of ideas about putting these item for something useful in the Aquaponics setup...
    A 70 watt pump will drain 5.83 amps per hour. That means your battery can theoretically provide just under 31 hours of power, but you typically don't want to drain batteries under 40% even deep cycle batteries. The solar panel can offset the difference of the air pump. Assuming you get roughly 11 hours of good sunlight a day, you can theoretically get a maximum of 60-70 hours out of your battery and solar panel, depending on specific conditions. In reality, I wouldn't count on it for more than a day or in an extreme emergency more than 2 days.

The battery and UPS are simple. Use the contacts for the old battery to your new battery. The UPS should manage the battery charging and cycling on/off during outages. To add the solar panel, you will want to wire it in parallel to the battery. You will need a charge controller or at least a diode that will prevent the power from traveling in reverse. If you go this cheaper route, it can cause overcharging. Also, your charge controller for the solar panel should only kick in when the UPS is not charging the battery, which would work out great for you.
    Thanks for the quick response,
    The most I have been out of power during hurricane is been 24 hours, I guess I am lucky. When I get back home tomorrow I will do a test with the SmartUPS backup and see how long I can run the air pump on the fish tanks, I am tempted to get the battery out of the SmartUps and swap it with the 170amp gel battery i have in the garage, it looks like it can fit.

The idea on the solar panels sounds good, right now I use it to power the TV I have in the porch, the solar panels (20watts x 4) came with the charge controller and are hooked up to 2 (six volts in series to make 12volts) deep cycle batteries 250aph each.

Quote Originally Posted by samtheman
    Thanks for the quick response,
    The most I have been out of power during hurricane is been 24 hours, I guess I am lucky. When I get back home tomorrow I will do a test with the SmartUPS backup and see how long I can run the air pump on the fish tanks, I am tempted to get the battery out of the SmartUps and swap it with the 170amp gel battery i have in the garage, it looks like it can fit.

The idea on the solar panels sounds good, right now I use it to power the TV I have in the porch, the solar panels (20watts x 4) came with the charge controller and are hooked up to 2 (six volts in series to make 12volts) deep cycle batteries 250aph each.
    Jeeze, you have some nice batteries. I'm not sure what the UPS battery is, but they are usually not a lot of amp-hours. My guess is your 170 Ah battery will be far more than the one it came with. It doesn't HAVE to fit in there either. You can run the cables out. Also, if you wire them in parallel you will get the combined Ah of the batteries. Make sure they are not near dead by testing the voltage because this will kill the other battery if you don't (it will always ruin a battery array).

Lastly, charge your batteries before running the test so you know how long it will last in a real situation. Just wire them up and plug them in for a day or two or three... it depends how fast it charges, etc.

Well,
    I did a test running my air pump using the UPS and the 170aph gel battery and the air pump ran for 30 hours with no issues. The voltage on the battery drop from 12.6 to 12.3. That is more than I expected since is only for emergency situations

Now my next test will be using the workaholic u3050 (310aph) deep cycle battery to see how long can run the pump for emergencies. If this one works good, I am hoping I can use a charger and maybe a relay so it can switch to the battery when the power goes out.....

Members

great news sam, having the backup is one of the best moves you can make

There must be quite a range of panels out there. The ones I have experience here in TX with are pure crap. Seriously. They are marketed at such high output and ratings, and in reality they suck more money than they really save. I have yet to find one, even one worth the time it took me to locate it.
    So, if your's actually works, can you please provide the manufacturer, specs, etc?
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

Foodchain,

What brand of solar panles did you have bad success with? I'm looking at buying some myself and don't want to buy a piece of junk.

Thanks.

That's just it....Every single one I have touched has been crap. Some people swear by them...me..I am still looking.
    Seeing potential in hydro power though. Youtube has lots of DIY versions. I am currently researching as the loop back on my pumps is just directed back to main pond with no purpose other than to eliviate dead heading.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

I want to know if you guys have ever used solar panels in boat, I read about it in article as I am using solar panel at my home but solar panel boat is a new concept for me. I am wondering if anyone would share their thoughts on this one and plans of performing too.