Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Solar Panels and Backup UPS Battery backup

A friend of mine gave me an 980watt APC SmartUPS 1500 laying around that was hooked up to computer servers at one time and was wondering if I can use it in my Aquaponics setup probably to run the air pumps as a backup, I guess I could do a test and see how it performs, I wish it could run my 70 watt main pump also but no sure how long it could last. This is the link : http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Sm ... 23633.aspx

I also have one deep cycle 180aph 12v battery that I would like to integrate in my system, I have a total of 80watt solar power panels laying around that I wish I could somehow use it as a backup for my system. I guess what I am asking is if any of you guys can give me a couple of ideas about putting these item for something useful in the Aquaponics setup...

Members

Re: Solar Panels and Backup UPS Battery backup

is that a rack mount ups? i'm not sure of the ups i just got from my job, i replaced the batteries, 2 weeks later we had a 12 hour power outage, the ups lasted for 5 hours running just my air pump.. a top fin ar 8000

Is not a rackmount type,
    it just seats on the floor. It uses a battery the size of a golfcart battery or a motorcycle. Here is a link to see the picture:
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Sm ... 23633.aspx

Members

you might get a couple of hours out of it if only using a small air pump.. best bet is to charge it up and give it a go..
    you'll have to wait for others to respond to your solar questions

Quote Originally Posted by samtheman
    A friend of mine gave me an 980watt APC SmartUPS 1500 laying around that was hooked up to computer servers at one time and was wondering if I can use it in my Aquaponics setup probably to run the air pumps as a backup, I guess I could do a test and see how it performs, I wish it could run my 70 watt main pump also but no sure how long it could last. This is the link : http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Sm ... 23633.aspx

I also have one deep cycle 180aph 12v battery that I would like to integrate in my system, I have a total of 80watt solar power panels laying around that I wish I could somehow use it as a backup for my system. I guess what I am asking is if any of you guys can give me a couple of ideas about putting these item for something useful in the Aquaponics setup...
    A 70 watt pump will drain 5.83 amps per hour. That means your battery can theoretically provide just under 31 hours of power, but you typically don't want to drain batteries under 40% even deep cycle batteries. The solar panel can offset the difference of the air pump. Assuming you get roughly 11 hours of good sunlight a day, you can theoretically get a maximum of 60-70 hours out of your battery and solar panel, depending on specific conditions. In reality, I wouldn't count on it for more than a day or in an extreme emergency more than 2 days.

The battery and UPS are simple. Use the contacts for the old battery to your new battery. The UPS should manage the battery charging and cycling on/off during outages. To add the solar panel, you will want to wire it in parallel to the battery. You will need a charge controller or at least a diode that will prevent the power from traveling in reverse. If you go this cheaper route, it can cause overcharging. Also, your charge controller for the solar panel should only kick in when the UPS is not charging the battery, which would work out great for you.

Members

the ups doesn't have a deep cycle battery.. they're only meant to provide enough power to computer equipment to shut it off gracefully, usually 15 to 20 minutes..
    i don't think you'll get 31 hours out of it, but give it a test run and you'll have an idea

That's the theoretical maximum based on the specifications she gave from the batter and the power draw. In real life, you seldom get near the theoretical maximum; thus, I mentioned he shouldn't rely on it more than a day. This is meant as a guide because you won't EXCEED the maximum, only approach it.

Members

one test is worth a thousand theories

one theory can save you a thousand tests

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    is that a rack mount ups? i'm not sure of the ups i just got from my job, i replaced the batteries, 2 weeks later we had a 12 hour power outage, the ups lasted for 5 hours running just my air pump.. a top fin ar 8000

Off topic but do you know where to find filter pads for that pump?