Thread: Eating fish

Members

Eating fish

I have an opening performance/installation of fish.taco.ponic this coming Saturday. Should I stop feeding my fish? I have heard that some people recommend not feeding them for a week before you eat them.

Re: Eating fish

They should be in clear filtered water for 5 days before harvest. They have a gamey taste if you don't.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Great, thanks!

Put them in static clean water for as long as you can before Saturday. Having a temperature below 72 degree Fahrenheit will speed up the removal of the off-flavor. Typically, you can get almost all detectable off-flavor out of the fish if you put it in static, clean water for 16 days. The 5 day rule is good because studies have shown the off flavor decreases the most rapidly in the first 4 days.

Do partial water changes to maintain the water quality.

Members

It may depend on the type of fish. I've never experienced an off flavor to ours (catfish or tilapia) and we don't bother purging. Of course ours are netted and carried directly to the processing station where they are quickly dispatched, cleaned and placed into salty ice water in prep for cooking.

Our fish don't spend time much time stressing before being killed and they don't spend much time dead waiting to be processed.
    TCLynx

Mine go from tank to ice-salt to the table, but the flavor is night and day between purged and non-purged fish.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Great, will purge, salt-ice water and by default, they will be spending time in some clean water before they move downtown. Thanks!

Members

What kind of fish are you growing Badfish.
    When we first started we would try to purge the fish but it never seemed to have much effect and it meant we needed an extra tank up online so it seemed too much trouble and we quit bothering and at least with our catfish and tilapia we couldn't tell a difference.
    TCLynx

Not all fish will have gained an off-flavor; therefore, not all purging will make a difference in fish flavor.

I have not seen anything describing a salt-water solution for purging, but it makes sense on several levels; so, I can see there being mechanisms for this to work. The salty flavor will also help mask the off-flavor. The salinity may decrease or eradicate microorganisms that produce the organic compounds in question. However from an AP standpoint, I see this as more of an option for tilapia because of their physiology, which means it should work with any teleosts or diadromous species. Also, it could work, but to a lesser degree, for freshwater finfish.