Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The farm

Re: The farm

Since the IBC fish tanks will have just over a ton of water in them, we decided to build a base to set them on.
    We partially burried some concrete blocks into the ground and filled them with some concrete.

It's too hot out to be mixing that stuff by hand....

It makes me feel good, seeing my buddy do some work.....

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Looking good my friend!

Thanks UF.
    I guess I thought the IBC's would have more of a 'base' to them, like a wooden pallet. They only have a round pipe, that's been somewhat flattened. ( aprox 1 inch dia). I guess it doesn't matter when they are sitting on concrete. But, they don't have a chance, sitting on our 'soil' aka...sand...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

David, the place is awesome. its really cool....Good luck!!!

Thanks Soffy.........

Finally, it seems to be comming together...

We have the IBC's set and plumbed in. The air pump(s) and lines for the fish are installed, for the most part. And the media beds are finished.
    We've been adding fish slowly. I added 10 tilapia about a week ago. They were the guinea pigs, well, actually the Fl mollies and the skeeter fish were. They've been in there...?...maybe 3 weeks ? As of today, we have 33 adult fish.
    We also have been transporting water from my backyard system. So far, we added 500 gals of that. Between the fish and the water, we hope, that will give a jump start on the bacteria growing.
    I also took a 5 gallon bucket of gravel out of my home system, and buried some, in each of the 3 media beds at the farm.

I'm trying something a little different. I'm adding air into the water lines, near the pumps..
    EDIT: changed picture, these are a little more clear...

Note to self: add the unions to the discharge lines of the pumps...I knew I was forgetting something...

The two, 1 inch water lines run underground, to a 4 inch vertical pipe. They run up the outside of it, turn and go inside...then run all most, all the way to the bottom. The 4 inch pipe is about 4 1/2 feet in the ground, and a little over 4 feet tall. I 'wish' the 4 inch pipe was about 20 feet in the ground..
    The idea is, that the air being injected into the water lines, have a longer contact time, with the water, before entering the fish tanks....

Now that I have both water pumps on-line, I'll have to time the 'drain and fill' on the media beds. I may have to increase the size of the drains...

This picture, is on the other side of the fish tanks. The water comming in, is hitting a tee, before splashing into the tanks. We made air diffusers out of soaker hose. Each tank has a 3 foot section controlled by a small valve. They seem to make a nice wall of bubbles....

I've been starting seeds at home, planting some every week. Over 2,000 so far....

Members

Looking good david!! Thanks for the motivation

Are the IBC's being used as your fish tank?

What made you opt for the 2 water pumps? What are they plumbed to?

I like the idea of the air line plumbed into the water lines. I would imagine you might get more air without an air stone causing restriction. Maybe just a little

Livin' the dream

Thanks Kneedeep....
    Yes, the IBC's are fish tanks. We now have 4. We will be setting up 8 more.
    Quote Originally Posted by kneedeepinwater
    What made you opt for the 2 water pumps? What are they plumbed to ?
    Two water pumps are on separate electrical circuits. This is in case on pump breaks, or one of the GFI's trips.

The water is pumped to a 4 inch vertical pipe.
    Look at the 2nd picture in the above post. ....In the center of the picture...the 2 - 1 inch water lines (clear check valves at the bottom) go up and 'into' the 'open' top of the 4 inch pipe. The 1 inch pipes go to the bottom of the 4 inch. Then the water and the air bubbles 'perks' up the 4 inch and goes into the horizontal 2 inch lines. ( once inside the bottom of the 4 inch, the water is no longer under pressure from the pumps)
    The horizontal 2 inch pvc lines have valves feeding each tank.
    Maybe, this will help.. I only drew one water line, to make it more clear...

Quote Originally Posted by kneedeepinwater
    I like the idea of the air line plumbed into the water lines. I would imagine you might get more air without an air stone causing restriction. Maybe just a little
    Your right Kneedeep...There are 'no' air stones involved. The air just goes through the valave, and into the pvc...the turbulence at the fitting, helps to mix the air and water.

I want as much DO in the water 'before' it reaches the fish. So yesterday, I made a 'coil' of soaker hose. I placed this in the DWC/troughs, about 4 feet from the pumps.

Between this, the air going into the water lines, and the water splashing into the tanks....It should be pretty good. Of course, I also have air stones in each fish tank.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Livin' the dream
    I'm dreaming all the work is done.....