Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Members

Re: Big Johns first steps into AP

you still don't need the drain hole for flood and drain. when you have flood and drain the supply is just a screen fitting on the bulkhead with a 1/2" supply line from the pump, next to that you have another bulkhead usually 3/4"with that you have an overflow riser at the height that you want the water level it too should have a screen fitting on the end to avoid having the tube plugged. of course at the end of the cycle the tray empties through the pump which serves to back wash the impeller and tubing.

Members

Played with some auto siphons today, what fun.

May end up going that way, but have some more thoughts and ideas to play with

John

Members

John, My only concern with your set-up is solids removal from the FT. If I am following correctly, you are pumping from your sump -> growbed --> FT with the FT overflowing to the sump. Are you using a Solids Lifting Overflow in the FT to remove the solid fish waste? and if so, can your pump handle the solids that end up in the sump? You are going to need a way to get the solids out of the tank. If you do not want the solids in the growbeds, you may want to put baffles in the sump to create a settling area before the pump. If you are going to put worms in the growbeds to handle the solids. I would suggest pumping from the sump to the FT, overflowing (using a SLO) to the growbeds, then draining to the sump. This also gives you clean water (no solids) in the sump which will extend the pumps life and allow you to add NFT trays or a raft bed later down the road.

Just a couple more ideas to keep your head spinning.

- Larry
    Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Members

Just went back through the pics and noticed that you are pulling off the bottom of the tank to remove the solids +1 . You may want to add another outlet pipe above the FT's high water mark directly to the sump as a back up overflow protection in case the SLO gets clogged.
    Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Members

Yes I am pulling from the bottom of the tank, my biggest problem is that when more than one gb dumps at the same time the 1" pipe cannot handle it fast enough. Would like to add an overflow, but don't really want to cut another hole in the tank. I have seen some way to lift it over the edge, but cannot find it now. will keep looking

John

Quote Originally Posted by jcoop
    Yes I am pulling from the bottom of the tank, my biggest problem is that when more than one gb dumps at the same time the 1" pipe cannot handle it fast enough. Would like to add an overflow, but don't really want to cut another hole in the tank. I have seen some way to lift it over the edge, but cannot find it now. will keep looking

John

Let me know if you need to know how to make it work.

Members

thats it, I assume that where the "T" is that will be your water level?

thanks

John

Yes, set the bottom of the tee, at the lowest point you want your water level, and your tank will never go lower than that point. Just don't replace the tee with a 90 or it will continue until your tank is empty.

Members

Found some 1 1/2" pipe and fittings in the junk pile (I never throw anything away) Put it together real quick but had to get ready for work........ Will see how it works tomorrow. I am guessing that you block the opening in the "T" and fill it up to force the air out of it, then it should work from there on?

Thanks

John

You need to submerge the whole thing, and tilt it around to force the air out, then plug/cap off the leg that stays in the tank, hook it over the side of the tank then remove the plug/cap. Some folks glue an air pump check valve into a drilled hole on the top loop and suck the air out, but I prefer my way as there is no chance of air getting into the loop, I'm not sure I could trust those cheap plastic check valves. If air gets into the loop it will stop so watch where you place any airstones. (Wonder how I know that?)