Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Big Johns first steps into AP

Just got back from my road trip, scored 28 5gallon buckets at a great price. Now to move it all and see how much I really have at the moment.

John

That would be closer to 500L

I can't wait to see what you whip up!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    I can't wait to see what you whip up!

Me too,

Think I have over 1000L to date, got one more possible small buy then I am going to stop until I know how much I really need.

Still debating about tanks, and I may have found a source for food grade IBC tanks so I am back to waffling on that. Still working on the greenhouse it's self so I have some time till I decide.

I do have a 100g stock tank that I may start up with so I can get going. I know I can always change things as I go along. I don't expect to build the perfect system the first time. This really is a test bed for much bigger plans, I would like to venture into the commercial end, I have a little land to play around with so this is really to get my feet wet so to speak.

Going to have to put up some pics

John

Members

Ok, Pic time

Hydroton collection, there are 5 large dog food bags hidden and 4 crates on the right side that you cannot see either

Wifes pond for Lilly pads, thought about using this as my fish tank.

Greenhouse entrance and the retaining wall I am slowly working on

Interior of Greenhouse, fish tank on left side and GB on right (someday)

John

That looks like hundreds of dollars in hydroton! Is that a HF greenhouse?

You could easily throw some koi or goldfish in that pond just to spice things up.

Members

looks like you just have to put it together and you are off and running, the pond works. wish i could use the KOI pond in my front courtyard, but my boss says no on the grow beds at the front door. women are just to concerned about appearances sometimes!
    i like the supervisor on the picknic table making sure you are doing a good job.

Looks good Big John....although pushin' that wheelbarrow must have been a bear.

Members

UF All of the hydroton is second hand, most of it has Root from (medical plants) in it so it will need some cleaning. Have rite around $200.00 invested rite now so not too bad. I could always sell it for what I paid or even a little more if I need to.

It is a Harbor Freight greenhouse, it's not a bad GH, but needs some reinforcement here and there and I replaced the north wall with house sideing.

The cats where waiting for dinner, they where not much help except knocking dirt back into the pit where I have dug it out.

The Pond has a bunch of Mosquito fish in it rite now. If I moved some of that water into my system would it kickstart the cycle?

Have 3 wheelbarrows one has the foam tires so it never goes flat the other two always seam to be sitting on the ground, guess I should change them over someday.

Got a water trough that looks to be about 90-100 gallons, think I will start with this while I am waiting for the IBC's or decide to build a bigger tank. That means I need to get moving on a growbed.

John

I would not use any pond water in your system. This can cause more problems than it's worth. Studies have shown that you can't really speed up the colonization of bacteria in your system by adding bacteria. It still takes the same amount of time.