Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Members

Re: Green Water Experiment

Hi Urbanfarmer, and all,

I did the same thing with with growing green water last year to help feed my baby tilapia.

I used 5 gal water bottles in my green house, and would siphon out 1/2 of a bottle, and pour that into a 55gal fry tank every day. and did 2 fry tanks a day... then refill the bottles with FT water....

So far, I have not done that this year, because of being busy with several other projects, and its very early in the breeding season.....

I have been planing to get some 330gal IBC's to build a green water growing setup, and then pump green water into 10 55gal fry grow out barrels that will be a part of my outside system, and am wandering how this will effect the rest of the outside system. I don't want the rest of the system to go green, and only plan to pump a gal or so at a time into the 10 fry barrels, perhaps 4-5 times a day to help feed the fry......

When i thin out the fry runts, i feed them to the catfish, so i don't want to use so much store bought tilapia fry food, just to feed the catfish fresh baby fish, and think this is a good way to feed them, along with a egg yolk, yeast, and flour mixture that i make up, and then supplement that with fry food......

what do you all think about this plan....? what would you do different....?

RS

Hey Guys,

What was the results?

What do you use to start the green water? Can you just set a bucket of water outside in the sun to grow the starter algae?

I love this shit!!

I had starter algae from another tank and I just seeded the system, but you should be able to start some off outside using a bucket. The good stuff needs a lot of light. If you get less light you can get the other algae. I'm not sure on the benefits of brown algae vs. green algae. The fish eat both as I had a brown algae indoor culture going with tilapia and did not feed them anything. They survived and pooped out brown stuff whereas the fish in green algae had very green poop.

I found the green algae kept the water parameters perfect whereas the brown algae struggled. The green algae actually had what seemed like 2 types of green algae. 1 was very fine and is what you get outside with the pea soup, but the other was a dark green and actually formed very small pieces. I could extract this dark green algae, let it dry outside overnight and it would form algae flakes with no effort. The fish ate the flakes. Pretty amazing stuff.

Put an aquarium with used tank water in it in partial sun so it doesn't get too hot. It will go green an just a few days.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow