Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Green Water Experiment

I was just joking, sorry for the dry wit.

Quote Originally Posted by cedarswamp
    I was just joking, sorry for the dry wit.
    OH!

UPDATE: 5/17/2011 20:45:00
    I have added 2x 100 Watt 6500K CFL bulbs... there is a noticeable increase in microalgae in the tank...

I have been giving the tank a photoperiod of 24/0 since microalgae can use it.

Total Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    0.50 PPM (IT'S WORKING, IT'S WORKING!!!)

Nitrite
    still over 5.0 PPM (this will probably come down a day or so after the ammonia)

Next Action
    Waiting for nitrite levels to drop now, I assume another 24 hours will do it...

Sorry I missed this post. I used to grow all sorts of green water when I was producing large numbers of brine shrimp and daphnia. I used clean gallon wine bottles and an air bubbler. I used aged aquarium water and pured off 1/2 and refilled with aged fish water about every 3rd day. About once a month I needed to clean the jugs.

I used daylight bulbs set for 16 on 8 off.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

i use to use very thick green water with apistos, rams, discus and several other species of fry; the fry would color up as if hormoned.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    Sorry I missed this post. I used to grow all sorts of green water when I was producing large numbers of brine shrimp and daphnia. I used clean gallon wine bottles and an air bubbler. I used aged aquarium water and pured off 1/2 and refilled with aged fish water about every 3rd day. About once a month I needed to clean the jugs.

I used daylight bulbs set for 16 on 8 off.
    I think I have Daphnia on the glass because I see little specs of something moving around. I wish I had my microscope... ANYWAY... Did you put a bubbler in there? It might just be my water because it was so high in ammonia/nitrite, but without the bubbler it starts to stink after a day. It might not do this now, I haven't tried.

Any reason for the 16/8 as opposed to 24/0?

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    i use to use very thick green water with apistos, rams, discus and several other species of fry; the fry would color up as if hormoned.
    I would like to do this! How did you get it very thick? You mean as in like thicker than water or just a lot of green?

Yes, I used a hard plastic tube rather than an air stone. Stones plug quickly. All the studies I've seen says algae needs a dark period to do best. Saves $$ on power for the lights too.

If you want to concentrate it, put the gug in a fridge for a few days. The algae will settle and you pour off the water.

OH thank you, I didn't know that. I will try it now!

Members

maybe it was just the type of suspended algae, but it was thick enough that my hand held a few inches in from the glass was just a shadow. the aquarium was heavily stocked with young fish, apparantly they produced a lot of nutrients in short order. fluoresant lights (only used grow lights) were on probably 18-20 hrs per day. of course to do this the particular tank would be taken off the central system. between the algae and iron, the fish would attain coloration normally found only in wild caught fish. particularly the red spotting and metallic sheen. i always provided a lot of aeration to maintain a good circulation and exchange of gasses.

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    maybe it was just the type of suspended algae, but it was thick enough that my hand held a few inches in from the glass was just a shadow. the aquarium was heavily stocked with young fish, apparantly they produced a lot of nutrients in short order. fluoresant lights (only used grow lights) were on probably 18-20 hrs per day. of course to do this the particular tank would be taken off the central system. between the algae and iron, the fish would attain coloration normally found only in wild caught fish. particularly the red spotting and metallic sheen. i always provided a lot of aeration to maintain a good circulation and exchange of gasses.
    OH, that's what you mean. Actually, mine is that thick. I can't see into the water past a few inches either. This water reminds me of The Incredible Hulk...