Michelle Obama's organic garden angers US farming

I'm not an Obama fan by a long shot, but I back his lady on this one 100% (unless she gives in to Corporate pressure)

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph-UK
    Michelle Obama's organic garden angers US farming
    Michelle Obama's decision to make her new White House vegetable garden entirely organic has angered America's powerful agribusiness lobby who are urging the First Lady to consider the use of appropriate "crop protection products".

Mrs Obama started work on the kitchen garden with a gang of schoolchildren last month. Media coverage of the first White House food plot since Eleanor Roosevelt "dug for victory" in the Second World War garnered media coverage across the world.

But to the consernation of Big Ag, Mrs Obama has said the project will not use chemical products to tackle pests or give her plants a boost, the Times reports.
    More Here - Clik
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Re: Michelle Obama's organic garden angers US farming

Here's an earlier article which might explain why big Agri-business is upset:

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph-UK
    Michelle Obama digs kitchen garden at White House

Michelle Obama has begun digging an organic kitchen garden at the White House which will supply the first family with vegetables for many of their meals.

Early in her stint as first lady, Mrs Obama has outlined healthy eating habits as one of her favoured causes. She has consulted Alice Waters, the celebrated Californian chef and restaurateur who also runs a project in which she teaches children to grow their own vegetables and eat healthily.
    <snip>
    Once they start dining on fennel, broccoli and spinach grown a few hundred feet from their kitchen, the Obamas will become "locavores"/

A locavore - a term coined by Miss Waters - is part of a larger sustainability movement that believes eating locally grown food weans dependence from large industrial farms and boosts local economies.
    Emphasis mine

I guess that makes me a locavore (my wife would probably say I'm LOCO and leave it at that).

More Here Clik
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I am glad Michelle started that garden and I did support them and not ashamed of it. As as a vet I vote for who I want this is my right to die for in need be, I voted for Bush senior but the boy. Michelle won't bend to pressure she has integrity. That family has had more threats than any "white" house in history and they know the risk so I will stand by them until I feel different. Maybe next time I will run on the "green party" ticket

In WWI I first lady Wilson started a garden at the white house and raised sheep that helped supported troops with wool for uniforms not to mention kept the grass cut and produced compost which makes sense to me.

Yea times have changed but for Gods sake let's have a garden at the white house and let the first family be., big ag can kiss my ash! I wish our state capital had a garden or the town for that matter. I tried to get some peeps in the town to see a community garden as a good idea but the response was "oh Jeff people might steal the food" and that statement angered me. If they are that hungry then let them have it. Is this not the point so people can eat? So a few cucumbers get ripped off big deal maybe some kid at a table ate one good grief .

MACA makes me puke they are out brain washing kids in schools so later the kids will follow like sheep. AMBASSADORS??!!...... give me a freaking break!

St. Louis—MO—March 20, 2009—The CropLife Ambassador Network (CAN) and the Missouri-Kansas chapter of the National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA) both believe in the necessity of educating consumers about today’s agriculture. CAN which has approximately 160 ambassadors and regularly places those volunteers into schools across the Midwest, welcomed the opportunity to celebrate AG DAY with the MoKan chapter of NAMA.

SOURCE:
    http://www.maca.org/news/index.php?id=426
    ""we are what we eat""

I voted for the other guy, but I have no problem with this. I do commend Obama's green leanings and the local growing of food only strengthens this country! These are things that most people have forgotten how to do. The common knowledge of our grand parents is becoming lost to our children. The more each individual grows for himself the less we have to consume oil to transport it, make sense to me.
    Are they going to keep people updated on this? Also who is actually tending this garden? I would imagine the Obama's are pretty busy.

Lord knows, with the rest of his policies, we'll be needing to grow our own food.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I have to give an "AMEN" to Badflash on his remark. A garden at the White House doesn't amount to much when you take a close look at some of the things Pres. Obama is signing into law and how they affects our American way of life.

He supports the action his predecessor Pres. Bush started in 2005....the American Union between America, Mexico and Canada essentially eliminating our borders all together.

He has signed into law the GIVE Act...which will require all American youths between the ages of 18 and 25 to attend a 3 month boot camp which will essentially have the purpose of brain washing them and limiting their religious and political activities....that's how Hitler started.

Maybe this isn't the time for it or maybe it is....right or wrong....in addition to being a dyed in the wool Aquaponics nut, I am an American Patriot.

I served my country during the Cuban Blockade and Viet Nam and I believe it's high time those elected individuals who are treading on the Constitution of the United States and the Declaration of Independence be put out to pasture and send Obama who is chipping away at both of those sacred documents little by little right along with the rest of the manure although they probably wouldn't even make good tea.

For those of you who view this forum that are Americans, I invite you to view my other website......if it offends you, I do hope you will allow me the courtesy to state my views without holding them against me.

It is my right as well as it is yours to make known what you believe through free speech. As Americans, we do still have that right at least at this time, but for how long it remains to be seen.

I am not a terrorist nor do I wish to overthrow our government….my purpose is to bring to the attention of those who will listen, that we, as Americans, need to be focusing on the big picture of what is happening in America, not small or petty differences or even Tax Day Tea Parties (although that is a small step in the right direction).

I want to see America get out of the ditch the Republicans and Democrats have collectively put it into and back on the highway and running in the direction it should to restore and maintain our American way of life as the Founding Fathers intended.

Check out the site and the blog (there is also a forum though no members at present)

If you don’t do anything else, at least watch the “We The People” video.

http://americansvow.com
    http://americansvow.com/blog/
    http://americansvow.com/forum/
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"