Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pump Recommendations

Two days before this happened my quiet one 4000 shutoff and killed 26 lbs. of tilapia. I thought that brand was a good one, but still made in the chinas. The quiet one was a replacement for a danner mag drive that had a plastic piece break off where the impeller does its thing. Both of these pumps were less than a year old and considered top of the line in submersible pumps.
    We were considering offering the lil giant external (one of the only made in America options) with our systems, but didn’t know how to weather proof them and we had concerns about plumbing them through the side of the tanks.

The simple green is helping.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Wow, How did I miss all of this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Wet vacuum? I think I have an ex-gf that can get the job done too, but she will empty your wallet before the job is done...
    Got any pictures....
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    I know this how cheap can I make it philosophy seems to go hand in hand with DIY, but submersible pumps have been known to short out killing everything. If you can afford it use external pumps.
    Whoa whoa whoa, did you just call us CHEAP?!??
    No, he said we 'sound like' a bunch of baby chicks running around the barn yard going...'cheap cheap....cheap cheap'..
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Stucco.....
    Wow, sorry to hear that. I also thought that the 'quite ones' were supposed to be good (?) I planned on using them in my next set up.....'hmmmm ?'
    I remeber a while back, you mentioned you had a pump that ran for several years. Was it a 'little giant' or a danner...I don't remeber ?

I have a few 'fountain pumps' and a 'waterfall pump'...the water fall seems to plug less.
    I do run redundant pumps...just in case.

I helped a church pipe in an external pump to their fish tank. I ran the discharge to a 'spray bar' in the tank.....I just ran the line up and over the side of the tank.

On the suction side.....I added a union just before the line went into the sump. That way they can easily pull out the strainer to clean it. The strainer also had a built in foot valve/check valve.
    Since they would need to re-prime this part of the line, I add a tee (at the highest point) between the union and the motor. On the branch of the tee, I added a male adapter with a threaded plug.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Check out the pumps at your hydroponics store the better ones use steel shafts and are mag drive no oil, no seals to leak. They are also designed for back pressure and on off service for flood and drain. These guys sell to high end growers that won't tolerate the crap most buy. Surprisingly competively priced. the ones i use are MAXI JET MJ1000 20watt, 291GPH, maximum head is 69" steel shaft and designed for on-off operation.

Members

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the impeller design. sometimes a system will do better with a high pressure, high head, moderate flow rate at given head like a swimming pool pump. vs. a low pressure, high volume such as a pond pump. if you have a LOT of resistence you might look at this.
    another type of long lasting pump is the inline gundfos type of pump. they are used extensively in circulating systems, such as hydronics, and in circulating process piping they will last about 10yrs. they can be high or low pressure pumps. Lifeguard aquatic systems manufacturing use to use a gundfos exterior pump with their label for their cannister filters, i don't know if any of you remember them. they were also big in swimming pool and portable skid type of filtration systems.
    their was a small pump made years ago about 2" long by 1" wide that would pump a rediculous amount of water,many hundreds of gph with no head. it was test marketed, i was given one by the manufacturer to try out, but outside of plopping it in a tank for circulation it had a limited use. it screamed. it never made it in the market place. it incorporated a steel shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I've been very impressed with Intex pool pumps. I got a few last year for $35 each. 10 GPM at 8+ feet and only 80 watts. If you get a 600 gallon 8' intex pool, it comes with it for around $50.
    Are you still using these type of pumps?

I have been contemplating the idea of getting one.

Members

So are mag drives any good?

Members

Mag drive pumps are good in my opinion. I have used the Danner Mag-Drive supreme pumps in my saltwater tanks and never had issues. The Mag 24 is the largest one they make.

AT STUCCO.....

So, which pump did you end up getting ?

Members

Anyone buy their pump from surplus center? I'm looking at their sump pumps, I liked the one with the stainless steel body (looks stout) but was told the metal housing might not be good for my fish.

Still looking for my first pump, right now i water the old fashioned way.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.a...r&keyword=WPSA

Now i'm considering this unit