Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Pump Recommendations

So I am in the process of gathering materials for my new system and was wondering what pumps others here in the US are using and recommend for a larger system. Are there any specific brands that are more reliable and energy efficient? Are there ones I should steer away from? My Fish Tank will be around 700 Gallons so I am needing something with a higher volume.

I appreciate the advice.

Members

Re: Pump Recommendations

you want a pump that will pump at least 1400 gal/hr @ whatever "head" you have (height of the surface of the tank you are pumping to the highest point you are pumping), if you go a bit bigger, you can divert flow back into the tank to increase aeration..i've seen systems with anywhere from 1 - 3 times an hour turnover of the volume of the ft

Members

Check on what type of shaft the impeller uses. Make sure it is steel. I have used pondmaster pumps for years. Two monthes ago i purchased a pondmaster 1200gph pump the shaft broke in less then two months. They now use a plastic shaft.

I have used a Sunterra 200850 Pond Pump, 850 GPH with no problems. Honestly, I was worried it would be a really cheap piece of junk, but it has a 2 year warranty; so, I took the risk. I got it for $53.15 with free 2-day shipping. That's hard to beat.

I know a lot of folks recommend you have a pump that's 200% or 300% of the volume of your system per hour, but I just go by the plants/fish and levels in the water. I'm using that for about 3000 gallons. It's not just about the gallons though. Everyone's system is VERY different, I have a low stocking density, and I take advantage of every way possible to create nitrification and oxygenation. I have no data to back this up; so, I don't recommend you try.

So, buy 2 or 3 of those for your system, I guess...

Members

ya know im not promoting biz.. but harbor freight has decent pumps for decent money.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp creek farms
    ya know im not promoting biz.. but harbor freight has decent pumps for decent money.
    From what I recall, their pumps eat electricity like a fat kid in a cake shop...

If by some odd change that's not the case, always get their extended warranty, and always use the 20% off coupon for some extra savings!!!

Members

i have not noticed my bill go up any yet, i run three pumps and one aerator. 24/7

i tried to put a meter around the chord and it wouldnt read anything?!?! im sure its pulling something.

the way i see it, my electric bill gets higher when the electric company buys a new truck, gives a raise, and for now some reason they are completely renovating and expanding their building because they HAVE to use the money or lose it? ? ? wtf

VERTICAL FLOAT SUMP PUMP
    http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /95593.pdf

About 700/600/450 Watts for 3700/3300/3000 GPH.

1/4 HP, 115 Volt Submersible Water Pump ($54.99 without coupon or paying for warranty)
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte ... 98342.html
    300 Watts for 1400 GPH. This should be half that.

Why spend the extra money for a more efficient model that ALREADY comes with a warranty (not to mention we shouldn't be buying more stuff from China, but that's for the sump...)

150 Watts extra, right?

0.150 kW x 24 Hours/Day x (30 Days) = 108 kWh per month

108 kWh x ($0.12/kWh) = $12.96 ~~ about $13 a month. Assuming a better model costs twice as much and it comes with a warranty for that price, you will make up the difference in 2-3 months (don't forget you have to pay for HF warranty). After that 2-3 months you will save $13 a month. Let's not forget the GAS it costs to get to the store versus buying a better model online.

You guys LOVE MAKING ME DO MATH

EXAMPLE ONLY of 1500 GPH draws 190 Watts with 1 year warranty (you can do better): http://www.amazon.com/Ecoplus-ECO-PUMP- ... 002JLI8FW/

OK LOOK for around $150: EcoPlus 3170 Submersible Water Pump, 3,170 GPH, 1 year warranty, 180W <--- WHAAAAT?

I've been very impressed with Intex pool pumps. I got a few last year for $35 each. 10 GPM at 8+ feet and only 80 watts. If you get a 600 gallon 8' intex pool, it comes with it for around $50.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    Check on what type of shaft the impeller uses. Make sure it is steel. I have used pondmaster pumps for years. Two monthes ago i purchased a pondmaster 1200gph pump the shaft broke in less then two months. They now use a plastic shaft.
    That is exactly why I asked. I had a Pondmaster that snapped last night. It is less than a month old. I put just a little back pressure on it to adjust the flow in order to fix a bell siphon and 6 hours later it popped. Lesson Learned!