Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Aquaponic Location Question

moisture can not only cause hidden dryrot, but mold and mildew. which means when you go to sell your home,if you own it, you will have to disclose that. the cost for remediation is very high. of course it depends on how much water in your system. folks have a couple hundred gallons in aquariums in their living rooms and have no problem at all. when i lived in houston, tx, a 10gal tank could tip the scales! if it didn't turn green it rusted. you can get a humidity gauge fairly cheap.
    in my fish rooms i wrap the room in visqueen, but then that is for several thousand gallons of water.

Yea, just investigate your RH before you do anything and you should be fine. Remember, mold can't grow without all the conditions it needs to grow. Google around you will find out more about it.

Members

Thanks for the great info guys! Nice "how to" on the swirl filter from Big Al!

Keith, what type of aeration do you use in your system? Do you use it just in the FT's or do you also use it elsewhere? What are your thoughts on the best GB's to use (NFT, media filled or raft)? What type of containers do you use for your FT? Hope you don't mind all the questions, just trying to figure out the best way to go about this, being new and all.

Anyone have any experience with the systems from Nelson & Pade? Seem REALLY, REALLY expensive.

Members

i've got one smaller air pump with 2 outlets and 4" stones going into both my swirl filters..
    i've got one bigger 4 outlet pump with 4 4" stones going into the fish tanks
    my growbeds drain into the ft every 15 minutes
    my ups unit is in the shop getting checked out.. found some ibc's for gb's and have my fingers crossed that it won't fall through.. i think the best i can do for the ft is going to be an 8' pool.. i'll probably get one more larger air pump for that system

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i've got one smaller air pump with 2 outlets and 4" stones going into both my swirl filters..
    i've got one bigger 4 outlet pump with 4 4" stones going into the fish tanks
    my growbeds drain into the ft every 15 minutes
    my ups unit is in the shop getting checked out.. found some ibc's for gb's and have my fingers crossed that it won't fall through.. i think the best i can do for the ft is going to be an 8' pool.. i'll probably get one more larger air pump for that system
    I thought swirl filters were supposed to serve as degassing tanks too?