Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Aquaponic Location Question

If I decide to setup an aquaponic system in my basement, do I need to be worried about humidity? Will I need to build a glassboard room with an exhaust fan? I don't want any water damage to the floor joists of my house.

Members

Re: Aquaponic Location Question

i've been running 150gallons of fishtanks in my basement since last fall.. no humidtity then, but i will see this summer (we get really humid weather in the summer anyways..)

basement has actually been drier this past winter..ymmv

Members

keith_r,
    Are you raising tilapia or a colder water fish? What type of grow lights are you using? I'm looking at the LED lights currently. What type of grow beds are you using?

Members

i have yellow perch and bluegill (could be green sunfish, could be hybrids, not sure)
    water this winter would have been way to cool for tilapia, the 25 yp i just added earlier this year are doing well, i still have about 15 of the original fish that have grown well too..
    i'm using 3pairs of t8 flourescents (4 cool bulbs and 2 warm bulbs), lots of lettuce, carrots, radishes all doing well
    tomatoes are coming up, a couple of zuchini have started, and one cantaloupe doing suprisingly well..one brocholi plant i keep cutting the leaves off of..(for the minnow tank)
    the growbeds are just 2 halves of a 55 gallon blue barrel cut long ways, filled with mostly river gravel and "topped off" with hydroton

Members

I was thinking about going with yp also. Are you using the barrellponics setup?

Members

yeah, slightly modified, started with 2 pairs of growbeds last spring and a 110gallon rubbermaid stock tank..
    in the basement i'm using 3 55 gallon glass tanks, trying to figure out a bigger tank now..

Members

oh, and i had 25 3" yellow perch delivered overnight for about $55, if you want contact info, let me know..

Devices to measure relative humidity are very inexpensive. Monitor the numbers and adjust accordingly. I HAD an indoor grow room with only about 100 gallons and grow lights (and 1 south facing window) and the room would hit 90 degrees with a very high humidity. I had the room sealed off, AC didn't pump in, and air would only move in/out the window when I manually ran a fan.

Humidity here in FL though, is normally high. You may not have this issue whatsoever. I even bought a 1000 watt dehumidifier to run in the room. I would get buckets and buckets of water, and I was very confused where it came from because I wasn't losing that much water. Probably the crappy building quality of these brand new condos... just crap... but anyway...

Members

keith_r,

I have a local fish farmer who sells 3-4" yp for $0.85. Not sure what he would charge for shipping? http://www.shelbyfishfarm.com

Do you use any other filtration in your system (clarifiers, mineralization, degassing) or just the growbeds?

Members

thanks for the info,, they do deliver, but for small quantities it's more expensive...
    i did some work up near detroit last year and got my fish from "fin farm" in northwest ohio.. i figured with gas at 4 bucks a gallon it was cheaper to have the second batch delivered (from a different vendor)
    i got bluegill and crayfish from a fish farm in northeast ohio.. highwater fish farm i think..
    it's been nice finding all the farms in ohio.. when i build up my bigger basement systems (i found ibc's for 20 bucks, but gotta find out what was in them) i'll want to try a batch of trout..
    i do have 2 swirl filters, based on what "Big Al" showed a great set of pictures on in his greenhouse thread, using 5 gallon buckets, scrubbie pads and mesh