Hello all, I'm new here and completely new to aqua/hydro/airo/ponics. etc.

I'm not new to gardening, nor to taking care of aquariums. so here is the deal and why i have signed up here.

I will be hoping to travel in 8 months time. and don't intend on being home for about 2 years. I have 2 goldfish, both of
whom are 7 years old, living in a 40 gallon tank. I've read that in aquaponics, both the plants and the fish benefit, so the
plants get food, and the fish get clean water. I'm hoping that aquaponics will enable me to design/setup an automated system
that will keep the fish tank water clean for them while i am away. I can have someone, top up their automatic feeder, and also
top up the fresh water that will be lost from time to time. but will be unable to get someone trustworthy to keep my fish alive with tank water changes. which is why i'm looking into these type of systems.

the system will be indoors, beside a large window, that only gets direct sunlight in the early mornings.
i would not be looking to grow food plants in this, but rather the best sturdy plant that would suit what i want. basically have the plant work for the fish tank.

not sure what other information to give that would help.

does anyone have experience with a system like this? or could anyone point me in the right direction so i can keep my fish alive while i'm away. i pretty much have 8 months from this month to experiment and build a diy system.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Odin.