Members

Hello from Kentucky

Hello, I'm building a new house on 2 acres and I'm interested in possibly doing some aquaponics. I'm very near the Ohio river and my well water is just 50 down. So for the cost of running a pump I have unlimited quantities of 57 degree +/- water. I would love to grow trout, but other species would be fine. Is there starting place / resource that you can direct me to, to start learning about the process, equipment, investment?

Greg

Re: Hello from Kentucky

Hi gregw.....welcome....

Oliver has written some really great info. Try starting here.....Aquaponics 101 by Oliver.

viewforum.php?f=112
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Greetings Earthling, and welcome!

Members

welcome to the forum. with that temperature water trout would be happy campers, you would have to find plants that would be ok with water that chilly, many salad veggies would love it.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    welcome to the forum. with that temperature water trout would be happy campers, you would have to find plants that would be ok with water that chilly, many salad veggies would love it.
    I didn't think about the water temp. as far as plants were concerned, guess I could heat the water in a solar collector, but that would only work during daylight hours and maybe not at all during the winter. Part of the compromise I guess if I want trout.

Members

Maybe it's a once through system, not a recirculating system?? The soil on this property is very good, maybe I use the overflow to irrigate a more traditional in the ground garden?? This would have to be seasonal and kind of defeat the aquaponics concept.

Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers so pick a topic of your interest and start your own thread and Enjoy. Please go to your profile and put in the city and state where you live, there may be members close by.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"