Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: rfeiller's-outdoor garden construction

Thanks for the kind words.
    I'm pleased with how plants are growing, with worm buckets in the mix, the difference is phenomenal. Adding a worm bucket is something that is a minimal cost to anyone, but adds to the production of crops. Not a perfect system but getting better.

Members

rfeiller,

could you expand on your worm bucket, I get the idea of adding red wiggler worms to a growbed, but a little unclear on the "worm bucket". Any PH problems with the red lava? I have been collecting Hydroton at about $15.00 a 50l (used), but have a long ways to go to get what I think I will need.

thanks
    John

Members

Jcoop,
    I am certainly am not an expert on red lava, however I have used it and black lava for years in central filtration systems for discus and other rainwater fish. I haven't bothered to check my Ph. I have no intentions of adjusting it, that would alter my objectives.
    In bonsai it's okadama in hydroponics it's hydroton, beats the hell out if me why anyone would waste the money. If you don't want to clean the lava throw it on your landscape when you are finished with it.

Members

Basically, each bucket is a worm "box" with a plant in it. I run just enough water in it to water the plants plus a very little runoff that goes in the biopond. I add table scraps, shredded paper (very little the castings value is based on what the worms are fed), as I would any worm bin. The plants are planted when the bucket is 1/3 full of worms and castings with a chunk core drainage base. I hope this makes it clearer.

Members

well best intentions, the pH hit 8.0, the tap is 7.4pH. so I broke down and added two pillow cases half full of canadian peat. the pH after a day and a half has dropped to 7.2.
    this photo shows the bell siphon, 1" stand pipe with a 3" bell housing note the size and placement of the round holes.

Members

this is the fourth 100 gal reservoir that will be used as a grow bed. built the stand extension for this next to the single 100gal GB and installed this one. 5th bell siphon of this design installed; no adjustment necessary. the bell siphon is working change the water as the peat is leached into the biopond water. the placement of the supply pipes is intended to force the water through the peat.

Members

now to finish the stand and set up the last 6 trays. (4) 12"x41"x4" flood and drain trays and the (2) EDPM lined 2'x8'x1' grow beds with controllers and this will finish the GB construction of the outside garden. I want to add two slow sand filters in the mix.

when completed this garden will have (29) planted worm bed 5 gal buckets, (5) ebb and flow GBs with Bell siphons, (4) grow trays flood and drain with a timer, and (1) deep water raft with the air gap between raft and water level. with the (10) Grow Beds on the same nutrient supply using different methods i will get a better idea of which way is more productive. there is enough variety of plants in each system to get a good feel for what works best; how and where.

each system has it's shortcomings and advantages, even the worm buckets are showing a shortage of iron, that was a surprise because the pH in the worm buckets is not elevated binding up the iron.

Members

showing the layout of the grow beds, buckets, table with flood trays, about the biopond that contains about 200 goldfish. also showing 3 of the 4 flood trays at the back of the new table.

Members

another shot showing the incomplete pond with the beams holding the bucket garden.

Members

a vew of the plants in the bucket garden