Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOAAT

Re: WOAAT

How's your cobbler business going? I started in leather work when I was 13 and have made about everything you can with leather from belts, purses, wallets, mocs, black snake whips right up to and including a full blown roping saddle (except for the tree) that a friend of mine from Waycross, Ga. actually used to win a calf roping contest in the rodeo there back in the late 60's.

I've got approx $3 grand worth of leather working tools just sitting in my workbench gathering dust...no time for it anymore. I do love working with leather and always have....guess that's the Cherokee coming out in me.

Don't worry about the project, if I come up with something I think you will have time to help with, I'll let you know.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

This is a very interesting proposition. When I started in AP I looked far and wide for an "expert". I found lots of articles and case studies but this site and the folks who contribute hear actually helped the most. So as far as I'm concerned you are the authority.. So since I started my AP system I have been visited and questioned multiple times about how and why AP. Even got invited to speak at a Master Gardener program. I turned them down because I don't think I have the qualifications to teach yet. But one avenue to teaching about AP may be the Master Gardener program. If nothing else perhaps learn how they set up their organization. I know the local County Agent is very involved in the MG program here and I assume it is the same across the nation. Maybe piggy backing on to an organization that is already well know and established would be a more viable way to start the AP revolution. Just a thought.
    Lord, grant me the ability to change the things I can,
    The tenacity to change the things I can’t,
    And the ignorance not to know the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by tem1160
    This is a very interesting proposition. When I started in AP I looked far and wide for an "expert". I found lots of articles and case studies but this site and the folks who contribute hear actually helped the most. So as far as I'm concerned you are the authority.. So since I started my AP system I have been visited and questioned multiple times about how and why AP. Even got invited to speak at a Master Gardener program. I turned them down because I don't think I have the qualifications to teach yet. But one avenue to teaching about AP may be the Master Gardener program. If nothing else perhaps learn how they set up their organization. I know the local County Agent is very involved in the MG program here and I assume it is the same across the nation. Maybe piggy backing on to an organization that is already well know and established would be a more viable way to start the AP revolution. Just a thought.
    Hello,

I would like to offer some clarification on the Master Gardner program, shortcomings in your area, and general discussion about the program nationwide.

The program is sponsored in each state by the land grant university, money that has been provided to 1 state university from the federal government for many decades now (I forget how far back this goes, but far). In order to have a Master Gardener presence in your county, the county extension office must adopt the program; therefore, you will always see the strong relationship between the Master Gardeners and the county extension office. Most have 1 agent in the extension office in charge of the program, and they typically have their salary paid by the university (and indirectly the federal government).

As far as the qualifications, I'm not completely sure what you mean. The MGs I work with come from a diverse background, but I can say without question the vast majority of these folks are professionals with a lot of experience, education, and wisdom. They are intellectuals, academics, and above all good teachers who are more than "qualified" to learn, master, and disseminate information. In general, I have concluded that most MG programs do not offer training to their faculty (the master gardeners) on aquaponics. Please understand, the MGs are there to serve the community at large. If everyone in a given county had an interest in Aquaponics, then your MGs would definitely have training, if not extensively, in aquaponics. The 2 issues are 1) there isn't a demand to be met by MGs helping in aquaponics and 2) there is a lack of genuine research and information to provide training. MGs are ONLY supposed to disseminate information that is provided by the university they represent. For example, I CANNOT MAKE ANY STATEMENT OR DISSEMINATE INFORMATION AS A MASTER GARDENER THAT DOES NOT REPRESENT THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA. In the case of Florida MGs, the vast majority of our information can be found: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/

I have been given permission to use any information adopted in some way by the University of Florida with regards to aquaponics because there is SO LITTLE information out there.

NOW, with that said, I think you can see that not every MG program is created equal because they are exactly educated in subjects to meet the demands of their local communities. DID YOU KNOW THAT: There are Master Gardeners in Hawai'i that are TRAINED THOROUGHLY IN AQUAPONICS? YA, COOL RIGHT? As far as I know, this is the only program I have found that has adopted training for aquaponics, but I'm sure you can quickly realize there is a high demand for aquaponic gardening in Hawai'i; therefore, why this exists.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

On a side note, I am trying to raise awareness of aquaponics in MY local community as a Master Gardener. I will begin giving free lectures to the public starting in June, which I hope will have plenty of visitors after my 30 minute TV spot where I will go over aquaponics and try to sell it to the public. Of course I am selling a concept and not a product. Master Gardeners work for free and because they have a passion for helping people. We all have to go through rigorous education and testing before we can become certified. The process takes a year, and we must meet continuing education requirements to stay active as MGs.

Members

I did not know how the Master Gardner program works only that I think it is a good one. Thanks for the back ground. I have several friends that are Master Gardners and when they saw what I was doing with AP they became quite interested in it. Maybe I will have a visit with my county agent and see if he is interested in including AP in his Master Gardner program. At least I can get started spreading the word in my county.

On a side note, I am involved in the Texas Irrigation Expo here in the Rio Grande Valley. We promote water conservation in agriculture and host a show once a year. (You can Google it for more information.) This year we would like to include information about conservation to home owners. I thought AP would be a great topic since it's reuse of water is one of the most water conserving methods I know of. The problem is finding someone that we could bring in to talk to homeowners and commercial growers about the benefits of AP. Do you know of anyone that may be qualified to speak on the subject? I realize there is more to it than just conserving water. The commercial guys need to make a living and the homeowner wants to eat good food at a reasonable price. (funny how it all comes down to money, huh). I figure the best way to get information out about any subject is to start talking about it. Any thoughts?
    Lord, grant me the ability to change the things I can,
    The tenacity to change the things I can’t,
    And the ignorance not to know the difference...

I don't know anyone in Texas that would be able to do that. I'm sure you can get someone if you have a budget, but I would ask the county extension agent if he/she knows anyone. Sometimes, they can even get people from the university.

So what's the latest on this project? I see above that Urban Farmer's post (last in line) was just about two years ago - any progress yet?
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope
    So what's the latest on this project? I see above that Urban Farmer's post (last in line) was just about two years ago - any progress yet?
    +1
    I too am interested in this project. As of now I am just a small scale backyarder... But I am in the design stage of building a 1600 sqft greenhouse AP system for commercial reasons. I have gotten my design sketched up and now working on the paperwork (business plan) to get investors interested. Whether the commercial dream happens or not, I would still be interested in spreading the word about AP.

Oh, just a thought about commercial AP'ers and sharing "trade secrets". Perhaps they are concerned about creating competition in their own neighborhood. I too think, if AP is how I am making a living, do I really want to train my neighbors to compete against me? Sure, train someone out of my county, or state, but to train my neighbors to be competitors. Makes a business person cringe.

But, my love for AP and love for my neighbor, I can't help but share what I learn when it comes to AP. Also, if you do create a little competition, it might be in your favor... the more people promoting AP, the more the market grows, and the more likelihood your items will sell, and at a higher price (when people find out that it is Organic, Sustainable, Renewable, Green, 100% Natural, Pesticide, fungicide, and herbicide free, etc.).

AP is such a wonderful concept, I kick myself for not thinking/finding out about it sooner. I am not one for large group discussions (tried the "visualize everyone in their underwear" trick, but that didn't help). Although, I love to share what I know one on one with people. If I can help in anyway, just let me know.
    Trust God, after all, only He knows what He is doing.

Random Thoughts: There is some truth in every newspaper and magazine, you just need to know where to look....
    For instance: The name, price, date, and page numbers are usually always true!