Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOAAT

WOAAT

Good ideas! I'm not sure how we can organize to spearhead some areas to help this community grow... but there has to be a way!

Yes, getting support from already existing youtubers and things like that would direct people with questions or passion for aquaponics this way! There has to be more than a few dozen people in the world that we can get on here!!!

I don't really have any trade secrets to keep to myself, LOL... in fact, I try to share everything I know, for free, and as scientifically as possible!

Members

Re: Top 10 Contributors (Peak Posters)

it's amazing how many people believe what they do is a trade secret, when it is common knowledge.

OK, the challenge is on and I guess now we will see who actually steps up to the pump and just how serious you truly are about furthering the cause of disseminating information about the technology behind Aquaponics.

I've personally been doing it for over 7 years at my own expense with a untold outlay of money and countless hours of research, tried and failed, and tried and failed again and wearing out at least 4 computer keyboards and mice, surviving hard drive crashes, hacker attacks and many hours of lost sleep to put together what you see when you look at the DIY Aquaponics site.

So, here's the challenge:-

I just purchased two domain names;_

woaat.com

woaat.org

Stands for:

World Organization for the Advancement of Aquaponic Technologies

I propose we put together an organization that allows for corporate and individual memberships. These entities and persons must be professional in all their dealings; must always abide by a strict code of ethics in advertising, business practices and personal dealings with the public in order to display the Organization's seal on their website and advertisements. I know one person who can help right off the bat...Stucco's wife...she's an excellent artist and can easily create the WOAAT SEAL once we decide what should be on it.

Need to find some sponsors who will be willing to give discounts on Aquaponic related products to members (the more the merrier).

We will need a non-profit corporation with a 501c standing with the IRS so that all monies that comes into the Organization will be tax free. Any high powered individual out there that can get this done for a song n' dance? I can do the non-profit corp docs for the State of Florida, (cost for filing is $70.00 and $150.00 annually) but the IRS filing is another story...need an excellent (free) attorney and more bucks.

Ambitious eventual goal:-

To purchase land and build a facility for training interested individuals and corporate personal such as exists at the University of the Virgin Islands.

I have been working (covertly) on a number of other projects for the last 6 or 8 months and hopefully I will be able to unveil them to you soon. They will fit in nicely with what I have just proposed. So far as I know, no one anywhere in the world has attempted what I am proposing at this time.

To be a little corny here (If We Build It, They Will Come) and from far and wide.

OK, it's late and I am out of steam...let me hear from those who are seriously interested in the project. Know one thing, I am going ahead with the project with or without.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I can help with the 501c part of it and anything else for the corporation, bylaws, etc. I can also help with any of the business administrative stuff and managing things. I'm pretty good with compuders too.

Why would members want the woaat certification other than the discounts? What exactly would woaat be for?

Top 10 Contributors (Peak Posters)

The organization would give them and their website/business creditability. Similar to what the "BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU" does for the small business man even though I don't care for that that organization; companies join them to be able to display their logo giving their business creditability whether they are or not.

The Reason it would give them creditability is because each corporate member that applies would undergo strict scrutiny of their website/business practices, claims of accomplishments and their approach toward the technology of Aquaponics and what they contribute toward it. It would separate the wanna bee's who scam the unknowing persons for the quick buck from those that are actually serious about helping by distributing information and know how. The members would also be required to abide by a strict set code of ethics in all their dealings which in itself would lend creditability to their business by association.

WOAAT could send representatives out to various places from time to time to hold seminars and spread the word (and charge for them naturally) to build the bank account toward the eventual goal of setting up the WOAAT University of Aquaponics Technologies.

So what are your ideas. You know me....When I work, I work hard....When I play, I play hard, but When I think, I fall asleep!
    JCO
    so never forget

Okay, I getcha. Now thinking about the adoption of this credential. How do we convince the potential members that we are the authority and all things Aquaponics? How does our process of strict scrutiny make things better for members than say if Dr. Wennard Lilson, who has no credential on his site?

I think once we get some of the bigger folks onboard, the little fish will follow. It's the first step, but HOW? Some ideas come to mind, like give away the first year or 6 months for free to these "larger" communities (assuming they pass or are willing to work with us to make them pass).

WHAT ABOUT websites/companies that only SELL products or that's their main focus? Do we scrutinize them differently? Subscription price difference? Or we don't give them membership at all since we're more about the EDUCATION?

What do you feel, at the moment, the start-up cost for this venture would be, ROUGHLY?

Anybody else have any input for the subject of WOAAT? The most important item needed to drive an idea is communication; communicating to everyone you can get to stand still long enough to listen, so let's hear it...need all ideas regardless of how they might sound
    JCO
    so never forget

It sounds like a franchise opportunity. Get folks in each area of the country that specialize and generalize in what work in that area, what fish and plants work best, how to maintain systems, deal with problems, etc. Those folks get the certification to check out the dealers and train people, consult, etc.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

A very constructive, sound suggestion....You've got the North East...get busy .. No, I'm serious...it is a great idea and can work providing we find upstanding persons with knowledge in the field of Aquaponics who are willing to devote the necessary time to establish a presence in their respective areas to promote the goals of the WOAAT.

I spoke to urbanfarmer on the phone today. We were working out the startup costs and the specifications for an IRS not for profit designation for the organization.

Anyone else got any suggestions Keep em coming
    JCO
    so never forget

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    How do we convince the potential members that we are the authority and all things Aquaponics?
    Rather than THE authority, I think you should consider being AN authority

@JCO - I can't help too much with this project, since I can only do AP for about 3 or 4 months out of the year with our sub-zero winters, and only for home use, that pretty much lets me out. I recently killed my last 400 guppies (no explanation how)! I will try to help out as/when I can if needed.

I'm not doing AP right now ........ making shoes, boots, mocs, and sandals to keep the wolf away from the door (sorry wolfracer!)
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy