Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Siphon Frustrations

I have a 75 gallon tank that pumps up to two barrel grow beds. Each of these has a bell siphon made from 1", 2" and 3" pipe. I have airline tube coming out of a 2" cap. I basically followed the design that I saw online. One of them works like a charm but the other one runs continuously, returning water to the tank all of the time. (They are identical in construction

I have removed all of the hydroton from the grow bed and looked at the siphon but I can't honestly tell what is going wrong. (I already did this twice!)

I also tried changing the water flow and removing the elbows at the bottom. These changes make the siphon work for a short while but inevitably, it reverts back to continuously running water.

Any suggestions of what I might to do fix it?

Members

Re: Siphon Frustrations

do you have a "balance" line between the two barrels?

Members

Probably not, I'm not sure what that is. The water from the tank pumps up to a T and then divides fairly evenly between the two barrels. Do you mean that I need to connect the barrels from the sides to even out the water flow?

Members

This is the one set of videos on YouTube "aquaponics 05 bell siphon troubleshooting ( part 1of2) that really simplified the construction and adjustment of the bell. he does an excellent job if showing and telling how to adjust the bell siphon. (Syphon may be spelled syphon instead of siphon on you tube.
    I have several gbs that are feed off a 4000gph pond pump but each has a seperate ball valve to adjust the water flow. I think that is what Keith was referring too. One side is getting more flow then the other.

Members

actually, i was talking about just connecting the barrels so that both fill at the same rate after the point where you put a line to connect them, but adding a valve to both outlets will allow you to balance the flow..
    just remember that if you find that you need to "close" both valves a little bit, you'll be increasing the pressure which can shorten the life of your pump..
    if you have too much pressure, you can divert off of your supply line back into the ft with a t and valve as well to help reduce the pressure..
    does that make sense?

Members

Well, I sure appreciate the suggestions. I watched the videos and fiddled around some more with the flow but still no luck. I was struck by his design, he doesn't use an airline tube at all. I wonder if I should just redo the siphon following his method.

I think it may be the siphon itself that is causing all of the problems. I could put a balance line between the two but if its the siphon with the problem then that won't make a difference. Changing the flow rate doesn't seem to make a difference. The one that works, is consistent no matter what and the other one never breaks.

Members

that is why i suggested you view the videos, mine work perfect and no air tubes. i think the success is actually the round holes and not square. use a 1" to 1-1/4" hole saw, a fostner bit throws the shavings everywhere, the hole saw is also a lot less money. have fun

Members

I use the bell siphon that Murray outlines in his TotePonics1 pdf file and it works like a champ. I didn't even have to adjust it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbZyxL8jYwk
    Ken

Members

There are numerous designs that work for folks, this design is working very well for me
    So I shared what worked for me.

I just build them and make them work. I haven't really looked into the physics behind it, but affnan has: http://affnan-aquaponics.blogspot.com/2 ... _9459.html