Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Quick-Set Pool For A FT

Hello all,

I am in the process of putting together a design for my backyard system and was wondering if anyone has ever used a PVC/ABS Quick-Set Pool for a fish tank. I have access to a small 6 foot pool (600 Gallons) that has never been setup and would save me a bit of money to get started. Eventually, I would like to replace it with a couple IBC Totes or something fiberglass.

I am planning on placing Tilapia in the system and am curious if you guys think the pop up pool will hold up. I had seen I fishery in Florida using one as holding pin but before I set off down that path, I thought I see what you guys think.

Thanks for the input.

Members

Re: Quick-Set Pool For A FT

i've been thinking of doing the same thing, and have seen people set systems up using them, but don't know long term results..
    i'm checking out a landscaping yard this weekend, railroad ties for $1 (they're usually $10 to$15 around here), i'll know more saturday

The liner is definitely risky business, but if it's only for a season, it should hold up. We have a Tilapia farm here in Orlando, and they guy has his whole operation made from small kiddie pools and one larger above ground pool.

Pictures: http://tilapiafarmingathome.com/mytilapiafarm.aspx

This post edited by JCO: DIY Aquaponics does not endorse the above linked site for a source of Tilapia. The link is for informational purposes only.

EDIT: YA, I forgot to mention that. I actually don't recommend buying Tilapia from this guy given the not so good history behind his breed stock... I won't say any more...

If you are just getting started, anything that will hold water will usually suffice. If nothing else, get out the ole shovel and sink that sucker in the ground at least 3/4th the way up...that will support the sides and keep the fish cooler.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    EDIT: YA, I forgot to mention that. I actually don't recommend buying Tilapia from this guy given the not so good history behind his breed stock... I won't say any more...
    Really glad you mentioned that. I was considering getting my stock from him. His site is where I actually got the idea to use to pool in the first place. FYI...I dropped him an email today and he said his last a couple years until the air ring developed a leak, more than likely from a fin prick.

After giving it a bit more thought, I think I am going to end up building a sunken tank. I am thinking that sinking it about 3 feet deep in the ground will help me maintain water temp in the winter when we have these odd cold snaps like this past winter.

I do appreciate the info and as soon as get started building, I will be sure to share plenty of pics.

Great! I can't wait

Members

BTW...Since the above mentioned farm is not advised, can anyone recommend a fishery here in the south to get stock from?

I've been using them for some time. Really cheap solution to fish. They should work for large growbeds as well, but I've only used them for fish and inverts. $15- $20 for a 300 gallon tank is hard to beat. The biggest issue is to protect the bottom. They last about 3 years before they start to leak significanly.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I've had great luck with Miami Aquaculture. I would steer clear of the Tilapia (Oreochromis) hornorum. They are not pure stock. Demand percentages of male offspring when hybidized.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermoose
    BTW...Since the above mentioned farm is not advised, can anyone recommend a fishery here in the south to get stock from?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    I've been using them for some time. Really cheap solution to fish. They should work for large growbeds as well, but I've only used them for fish and inverts. $15- $20 for a 300 gallon tank is hard to beat. The biggest issue is to protect the bottom. They last about 3 years before they start to leak significanly.
    Can you comment on the vinyl liner leaching chemicals into the water? I know the liners coated in anti-algae/mold stuff is BAD, but I assume these cheaper products don't even have that. I haven't really been able to find anything on the subject... do you know or have you heard anything about toxins leaching from the vinyl into the water for non-treated vinyl liners??

I found companies that specialize in fish safe vinyl pool liners, but that's not proof that there is even a risk to begin with... just good marketing.