Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Members

Re: Getting my feet wet...

+1 sam
    worms assist in breaking down solids in your growbeds.. they will survive and reproduce, it's recommended to use composing worms, usually called "red wigglers"..
    they breath through their skin, so they are fine with flood and drain or constant flood.. if they get into the fishtank, they'll live until the fish eat them

Members

they can last indifinitly if the water is well oxygenated.

Members

OK guys, thanks. Was gonna try an outside raised worm bed inground but not sure they would be able to survive the winter. Would love to have them in the GB though. I raised them in the house in a steralite container a few years ago. Will have to look into this as soon as the system cycles and stablizes.

Appreciate the info.

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    REALLY? In my experience peppers have really taken to aquaponics. I have tried regular cayenne, thai hot, bhut jolokia, bell peppers just to name a few.
    Have you eaten any of the bhut jolokia peppers yet? Supposedly the hottest in the world - over a million scoville units! They are like 4 times hotter than red savina habaneros! I had some bhut jolokia seeds i was going to plant but they got lost (or my wife tossed them out).

Members

I have six good size plants and a lot of seeds. You can purchase TRUE Bhut Jolokias seeds from New Mexico State University. A lot of seeds and plants are not jolokias or have been cross pollinated. Its another web scam. International Chile Institute, is the organization associated with NM state university
    No I don't eat them! I loose the tough guys after they try the Caribbean reds.

IT does not get any better than these!!!

Well, let's see how this year works for me. I had a big issue with caterpillars last year. Stray cats getting into my greenhouse and aphids in my pepper plants...lol
    These are "Aji Dulce" pepper plants from the Island and Oregano

Jalapeņo pepper

Tomato, Eggplant, and pepper varieties

Cucumbers, tomato, cilantro

Members

Many of my veggies do great in aquaponics including tomatoes with the addition of minerals, but all of the peppers from bell too jolokias and the entire squash family do much better for me in potting soil or commercial planter's mix
    However, I was surprised to have the five Yacon plants, which are a root crop do twice as good as the five Yacon planted in containers! The ones in my system, which include a lot of red wiggler worms, was in a fast draining media by Pro-mix, connected to a drip system. All of the leafy plants excel in aquaponics.
    Nice set-up