Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Getting my feet wet...

not the freezer, but the refrigerator.. they'll live for a couple weeks.. the smallest batches i've seen online were 1000 to 1500... i think the home depot was 1500
    i released maybe a couple hundred in the basement, the rest went into the dirt garden area a couple weeks after i released the first batch, i just wanted to wait to see if they would do ok (it's been pretty chilly here)
    but anyways, yeah, don't release them all at once

Thanks Keith,

The hydroponics store near my house sells them in batch of 1500 for $12.00. I will give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    not the freezer, but the refrigerator.. they'll live for a couple weeks.. the smallest batches i've seen online were 1000 to 1500... i think the home depot was 1500
    i released maybe a couple hundred in the basement, the rest went into the dirt garden area a couple weeks after i released the first batch, i just wanted to wait to see if they would do ok (it's been pretty chilly here)
    but anyways, yeah, don't release them all at once
    I'm not an entomologist... but, I did read a guide SOMEWHERE that stated the freezer and that you could get 6-8 months out of them. More research on the topic needs to be done I guess... I know an entomologist through the MG program; so, I might ask her, but I think we can find an answer without her...

Quote Originally Posted by http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100206191544AAvnkOb
    Any animal will freeze if it's held at a low enough temperature for a long enough time. However, insect hemolymph ("blood") contains a natural anti-freeze, trehalose sugar, that depresses the freezing point of the insect. Insects that pass the winter exposed to cold temperatures have an extra amount of trehalose, so their anti-freeze is more effective. (I happen to know this because I'm an entomologist.) Also, some lady beetles aggregate in large numbers to pass the winter in a state of hibernation. Conserved metabolic heat from the mass of lady beetles raises their temperature slightly, helping to protect them from freezing.
    Just a thought! If you don't find anything, I will just ask her next time I see her.

Members

i was just going by what i read on the "instruction" card that came with mine,, it stated that they would die in the freezer, but live for 2-3 weeks in the fridge..

Thanks Urban,

I called the store and they keep them in stock in the refrigerator, they want $12.00 for 1500 of those suckers....that's not bad at all

Members

nope, not bad at all.. i think it was about 15 from home depot (delivered) for 1500 - they don't carry them in the stores around here

My system is taking over:

tomatoes look great:

Eggplants:

Corn:

tilapia fingerlings:

The only plants I am still strugeling are the pepper plants, they turn yellow, the leaves fall, and the plants die. Maybe I should try a different variety of peppers

REALLY? In my experience peppers have really taken to aquaponics. I have tried regular cayenne, thai hot, bhut jolokia, bell peppers just to name a few.

Maybe the root system isn't getting established well enough? Are the roots in a lot of leftover soil or anything? Some peppers do worse with less oxygen. Thai hot peppers seem the most resilient to those conditions in my experience. What kind are they?

I had red and green bell peppers and I lost all 4 plants, maybe I damaged the root system when I transplanted them. I though it was Iron deficiency so I started adding iron supplement to the system but it did nothing to the pepper plants. Now that my system is more stable, I am going to give it another try to the peppers.

Are they blue tilapia? I thought they would be darker.