Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Have Flowers, No fruit

i use eggshells in my growbeds, growing up we always put shells in the dirt where the tomatoes were planted.. i don't have any documentation on this, it's just been a "common practice" so i figured it couldn't hurt..

Members

They should but the nitrate level might get raised really high

Members

Your nitrate level might go through the roof but it might help.... If your nitrate levels are low and you bury them under where your water enters the grow bed you will PROBALY help or atleast not hurt

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    i use eggshells in my growbeds, growing up we always put shells in the dirt where the tomatoes were planted.. i don't have any documentation on this, it's just been a "common practice" so i figured it couldn't hurt..
    Oh it most definitely works. It's just in AP you gotta be careful it doesn't shoot your pH too high when you're not watching. That's why most people have it so they can pull it out of the water at a moment's notice. The reason is you have an irregular shape with a changing surface area and changing conditions for its decomposition, which all affects the rate at which the CaCO3 absorbs and reacts with the aquaponic water. It's not going to spike overnight (I mean it can, but highly unlikely), but you will probably leave it in there unchecked for long periods of time only to discover "oops" and you need to pull it out. That's why it's best not to throw a bunch of crumbled up eggs shells deep in the grow bed. Obviously, if you only have a few in comparison to the SIZE of your tank, well it's not going to affect it much ANYWAY. It just depends what you're doing...

Members

What about I cloth type bag filled with egg shells ground to near powder and buried with a wire so you can pull the wire and remove it right away... Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by WAbedroomponics
    What about I cloth type bag filled with egg shells ground to near powder and buried with a wire so you can pull the wire and remove it right away... Would that work?
    That's perfect!

I have to say this: One more note safety, since you are grinding them down to dust/near dust, wear a dust mask or do it in some kind of enclosed container (I have seen people do it inside plastic bags) OR do it outside and make sure not to inhale. That powder won't really kill you unless you have some kind of respiratory issues, but it can cause irritation.

MSDS for Calcium Carbonate:
    http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/c0330.htm
    http://www.rigchem.com/MSDS/ExcalCalciumCarbonate.pdf

Members

Ok thanks I was thinking of using one of those magic bullet blenders because the only thing I use it for is grinding food for my guppie fry

SPEAKING OF THAT, what do you feed them, exactly? I have some Tilapia fry and I am using 50% protein flake, but they don't really seem too interested in it. If I leave them alone for a LONG time the food seems to disappear, but I can't tell if it was sucked up by the filter or they ate it...

Members

My guppies are eating 42% protein topfin brand tropical fish flake food they seem to like it they eat how ever much I feed them with now fuss I just have to crunch it in my fingers when they get big enough to eat something bigger then like dust sized food

Members

i just checked i was wrong im using tetramin tropical flakes ............. crude protien 47%