I'm new to this forum so first I'd just like to say "Hello" to everyone. I'm looking forward to learning from you and to sharing some tidbits of information that I've learned over the years. I'll be attending the Ferrocement workshop which Stucco is hosting in Palm Springs, Fl this June, 18th. Maybe I'll see you there!

Anyway, as you know, keeping the costs down in Aquaponic Systems is critical. Also, many individuals would like to build Aquaponic Systems and remain completely off the grid. The solution is a Non-Electric Water Pump, otherwise known as a Water Ram. Here is a link to one supplier of Water Rams...

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water___Wa ... DAV2?Args=

These pumps are rather expensive but I've seen plans available for building your own for under $200. Myself, I don't consider these rams to be too expensive because they last for many many years with next to no maintenance. Some of these rams are capable of pumping up to 6000 gallons of water per day without the use of any electricity! The savings on electricity is amazing. So long as you can supply the pump with a pipe holding at least a 3 foot water column, you're in business.

That's just a bit of food for thought.