Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Non-Electric Option

I'm new to this forum so first I'd just like to say "Hello" to everyone. I'm looking forward to learning from you and to sharing some tidbits of information that I've learned over the years. I'll be attending the Ferrocement workshop which Stucco is hosting in Palm Springs, Fl this June, 18th. Maybe I'll see you there!

Anyway, as you know, keeping the costs down in Aquaponic Systems is critical. Also, many individuals would like to build Aquaponic Systems and remain completely off the grid. The solution is a Non-Electric Water Pump, otherwise known as a Water Ram. Here is a link to one supplier of Water Rams...

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Water___Wa ... DAV2?Args=

These pumps are rather expensive but I've seen plans available for building your own for under $200. Myself, I don't consider these rams to be too expensive because they last for many many years with next to no maintenance. Some of these rams are capable of pumping up to 6000 gallons of water per day without the use of any electricity! The savings on electricity is amazing. So long as you can supply the pump with a pipe holding at least a 3 foot water column, you're in business.

That's just a bit of food for thought.

Re: Non-Electric Option

Interesting idea....but I think the noise would drive me nuts. LOL

http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/images/MOV00426.MPG

If you have a fall of water of about 5' or so, they work great, but they do thump. This would only be good for a feed & bleed system though, not aquaponics.

A windmill and air lift pump could be made to work, or solar cells and batteries.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I have one word for all of you... HAMSTERS!

HAMSTER POWER IS NOW A REALITY FOLKS

I feel as though you guys are not taking me seriously enough; so, to illustrate my concept I have illustrated it. I claim artistic license on the following piece. It may be too radical for some of our members... therefore, I ask for those members with weak retinas to look away. For the rest of you, prepare to be enlightened.

BEHOLD!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

For flood and drain growbeds, these water rams will work well. The delivery pipe shoots water into an empty bucket or garbage can. The splash provides even more oxygen for the system and the bucket allows the water to settle down before exiting through a pipe to the growbed.

Yes, these pumps work very well for aquaponics. If they didn't then I might give the hamster a go!

How can they work in aquaponics? They require a constant source of external water that flows into the system diluting the nutrients and requiring a constant drain out of the system. Great for make-up, no good for circulation.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Your fish tank needs to be higher than the ram. The higher the better but your grow beds need to be even higher so that gravity feeds the water back into the fish tank. Use it for circulation. It's a money saver. The only valid drawback is the noise. Building a housing helps a bit. Good luck.

hamsters...

Members

BAH! This'll never work! I finally see why. I didn't realize that the pump loses 8 gallons of water at the pump for every gallon of water that is actually pumped!
    http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/equip/ram4.htm
    What a bummer!

Ah well, back to the drawing board. Maybe it's time to give the hamsters a go afterall!