Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Members

Re: bright red on tillapia's lower jaw

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923273

Calcium Silicate:

Ingestion:
    Do not induce vomiting. Loosen tight clothing such as a collar, tie, belt or waistband. If the victim is not breathing, perform
    mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Seek immediate medical attention.
    Serious Ingestion: Not available.

doesn't sound good for an AP system....... or to eat..... or as that site said it also shouldn't be touched...... seriously sound like it shouldn't be in a food product lol

Ammonia says exactly the same thing: http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Ammoniu ... de-9922918

That's pretty much a standard insert into their MSDS sheets.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” --FDR

Basically, if you drink fertilizer you deserve what you get... joking! Anyway, yes most chemicals have an acute toxicity in the human body. You wouldn't eat a pound of table salt, would you? How about a pound of baking soda? Sugar? I'm sure I can make a list a mile long, but you get the idea.

Anyway, it's perfectly safe in the low concentration it would be found from dosing your system with table salt to prevent or cure brown blood disease.

Members

1 lb of sugar.... saddly yes i have..... when your a teen you do some real stupid s*** because somebody said they didn't think you could lol but luckily that was the dumbest thing i have done ( but saddly i must add this part) so far lol.... yeah if you eat fertilizer you probaly deserve to reap the ill affects lol

and of course this is for a pure substance and you get so little in salt it wont hurt you and the salt will hurt you before the other stuff will.... i bet it is like how the manual for my gun says "DON'T POINT AT FACE WHILE LOADED" which i disagree with it should say "come on point it at your face while its loaded" because who ever is that dumb should also on my bottle of sulfiric acid it says "DO NOT DRINK" i think if it eats through metal with even just a little amount you probaly shouldn't but i guess we dont want to leave anything to common sense anymore do we lol

I can't believe I hit the proverbial nail on the head!!!

Yes, a lot of the stuff in those technical documents can really scare anyone. A lot of times the information needs to be understood in context, but I completely understand not everyone can. I just want help you be confident about the safety of certain things because most will make blanket statements that basically fall under the category of "better safe than sorry" when in actuality it's safe and not knowing that will make you sorry (well if your fish die or your family goes hungry)

So, back to the sugar. Did you get really really sick? What happened? Do tell!

Members

the concern with table salt was with the iodine. and this goes back to closed aquarium systems with accumulative problems. any exposed steel rusting was considered toxic. the tank's water was never changed just added too. it was believed that amber colored water (aged) was the best, nothing is farther from the truth.