Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Aquaponics for the FISH

Hi odin, would you mind posting pictures of your tank and current filtration setup? If plants will be placed in the tank definitely your gold fish will eat them, ideally plants should be placed on your filter media(rocks,fiber wool etc..) and you can also consider automated water change 5-10% daily.

Members

thats for your honesty. If its not possible to set up that system, then i guess i'll will have to attempt to do that.
    i do care for my gold fish as i've kept them alive and healthy for the last 7 years.
    was just checking to see if it was possible to suppliment the care with a harmonious system.

don't think keeping them outside is an option. rather in a room near a window that gets sun in the morning. and if i was to do this, think
    i would be looking at plants that don't need too much attention, and would just grow, so food plants would be harder to use than a regular
    plant.

I'm not from valhalla no, but i do come from a city founded by Vikings over a 1000 years ago... Dublin... Ireland : )

Members

Aye will post pics of aquarium as soon as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by odin
    thats for your honesty. If its not possible to set up that system, then i guess i'll will have to attempt to do that.
    i do care for my gold fish as i've kept them alive and healthy for the last 7 years.
    was just checking to see if it was possible to suppliment the care with a harmonious system.

don't think keeping them outside is an option. rather in a room near a window that gets sun in the morning. and if i was to do this, think
    i would be looking at plants that don't need too much attention, and would just grow, so food plants would be harder to use than a regular
    plant.

I'm not from valhalla no, but i do come from a city founded by Vikings over a 1000 years ago... Dublin... Ireland : )
    I see I see

Well, I think the biggest issue is the 2 years without attention. I mean in a mature system with the right plants and system design, you could easily go a few months without checking, but things happen. Pumps die, plants die (some only live a year ya know), pipes and siphons get clogged, and other less common problems can occur.

Now, with that said, I have come up with a solution... ROBOT HAMSTERS! Yes, they can be remotely controlled while you are away to do your bidding and maintain your system. You don't need to thank me, I know, I know, GENIUS!

Members

OK... here is the tank

As it turns out. Life being life and that, there have been some slight changes. I will not be going abroad, however i will be leaving the fish in the family home and moving to the other side of the city. It's still not possible to bring the set up with me. however this does change things. for one thing, i will be able to check up on them, check filters, pipes, plants etc, just not every day. maybe once or twice a month.

so with this new info, i should be able to find a system that will help? the filter and aquarium is jewel, and its a 20gallon tank. could the addition of plants outside of it for aquaponics help clean the water?

does anyone know how many plants this size could help grow/sustain?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	2951  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

The gold one is Buddha, and the white and gold one is Garfunkel.

robot hamsters? nice just point me in the nearest outlet that sells 'em : )

Quote Originally Posted by odin
    The gold one is Buddha, and the white and gold one is Garfunkel.

robot hamsters? nice just point me in the nearest outlet that sells 'em : )
    <in deep Russian accent> NYET! In DIY Aquaponics Forum, man build robot hamster not buy cheap copy.