Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Economics of aquaponics

Hi folks - I just joined and am wondering where I might find an economic analysis of aquaponics - production yields; running costs etc. I've looked around the forum but seen nothing on this aspect. Am I missing something?
    I'm thinking of starting with tilapia and the only species that seems to be available locally (Spain) is the Buttikoferi. I viewed a pic of the fish and it is nothing like pics of tilapia I've see on aquaponics sites. Does anyone use this fish?
    best
    biljim

Re: Economics of aquaponics

What do you want this analysis for? Are you trying to start a business or is this for your personal use?

Members

I'm thinking about setting up a system for my personal use and I imagine the economics of aquaponics must have come under close scrutiny. I feel this aspect is fundamental to my investigations.

Okay, I understand. Then, if I can direct your questioning in a more focused manner... what aspect of the economics are you interested in?

If it costs you $50 to build a system that can grow hundreds if not thousands of dollars in produce and meat, do you need a specific study to justify the process? If so, I can get you some numbers, but there's really no need because you will get a return on your investment in 1 growing season (unless you purchased expensive prefrabricated systems, but you're here at DIY AP so I would imagine that is not your plan).

Hi biljim, welcome to the forum....
    Take a look at this PDF....
    " Cost/Benefit Analysis of Aquaponic Systems"....by Richard Chiang
    http://backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/Co ... ystems.pdf
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hi again folks - and thanks, the Richard Chiang info is exactly what I was looking for.
    Looks like I'll be giving aquaponics a go.
    I'm thinking of starting with tilapia and will try to warm the water in winter using the heat from my compost piles.
    best regards

Holy... nice find David! Nice find indeed!!!

Thanks UrbanFarmer. I didn't know you hadn't seen that....I would of shared it with you sooner. I guess I thought someone else, had already posted it in the forum ...(?)
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I don't believe I have. However, I have done this cost and benefit analysis a few times for different business plans I have put together or helped others put together. From a business standpoint, I can think of more profitable business ventures. But personally, I don't think I could go without aquaponics as a hobby!

Also, the paper was put together to help sell their products. Consider the fact that you can DIY for a fraction of the price. I think we can all agree you can build a system for 10% - 20% of the cost listed in the paper I could do it for even less, mwahaha). That vastly increases the ROI in the short term. That basically means instead of taking 30 months to make your money back in food savings it will only take 3 - 6 months. NOW WE'RE TALKING!!! WELCOME TO DIY AP!!!

Members

If economics is a social science and analysis boils down to predicting human behavior? What role does influencing human behavior play in economics? In the midst of the recession(which began in 2007 but no one acknowledged till months later) we, the educated ones, were whispered that we mustn't say 'recession' because telling the truth about the recession would only exacerbate it. I see however many times on Fox News and others attempts at shaping the mind and social behavior in such a way as to influence economic and financial behavior of its viewers and society at large. If economics can be boiled down to influencing human behavior, not simply predicting it, how valid a science is economics?