Correct me if I am wrong here!

This is what I am assuming will happen in my system while starting up. Ammonia gets created first (threw a very very small amount of fish pellets in the tank) once the bacteria get going in the water I should see the ammonia level drop and the nitrite (NO2) level rise as the bacteria reduces the ammonia to nitrite, The nitrite level will then drop as the nitrate(NO3) level rises . The plants should then drop the NO3 as they use it up. Is this correct?

Now if I am having trouble building the correct bacteria I should see the ammonia level rise with no rise in the amount of nitrites and nitrates right?

I am also asssuming that this takes awhile to occur.

Also how long does a filter need to be in an aquarium before it has enough bacteria in it to start a system? I grap the one from my son's and daughter in laws last friday. They are the only ones I know that have a aquarium.

Changed the water out last Sunday (after the great catfish kill). and this is where I am at with levels today. Water temp 60F PH 7.9 Ammonia 1.5, NO2 0, NO3 0.

I believe my PH might be buffering high because of the presence of limestone in some of the pea gravel. hard to get away from limestone in Kansas.

Let's hear what you think! My skin is thicker than most.