Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ferrocement

Re: ferrocement

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140869.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	2995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140870.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	2996  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Members

This looks really cool and economical!

What type of wax are you using?

What is your cement mixture?

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Thank you! Yes I’m going to use the wax cuz I still have quite a bit left over from the trial bed, but I still think the epoxy is the way to go.
    This tank and bed are for some duck that TCLynx hooked us up with. The supports on the bottom will hopefully be nesting boxes
    Are you sealing them because they are not water proof. There are cement additives you can add to water proof the mix. all you need to do is wash it clean so none of the residue will harm your fish. But coating it all in white swimming pool paint will work well.

I like the pictures thanks for putting them in. I can now get a good idea of the frame structure are you mixing the cement a little dry then letting it set for 30 days moistening it and keeping it shaded?

That looks really nice!!!!

Thanks sam!
    Aquaarche be careful of the additives they sometimes have some pretty nasty chemicals in them… even though they are water proof they (the chemicals) still leach off. And the pool paint is not considered food grade even though folks have been using it for years. The wax is food grade and allot less expensive it just takes allot of time to apply.
    I’ve been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks so I’m a bit behind on the ferrocement manual that we’ve been working on but, I will keep you posted.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    I’ve been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks
    Praying for a quick and complete recovery
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

thank you

Members

xypex is one that is in question, a large public aquarium used it as an admix and lost fish. i don't know if it was settled. i need to research that out. i use xypex as an additive in construction of concrete garage structures it is fantastic. but use caution, some coatings will not adhere to concrete that has waterproofing add mixtures.

how do you apply the wax?

also if you use a concrete neutralizer doesn't that pretty much stop most of the leaching? isn't that what the neutralizer is for?

Stucco,

I know you make money on some of this stuff but if you can help it would be great. We are a small church doing an outreach to train recently released prisoners in Aquaponics. this will give them hands on in training, building and operating an aquaponic farm.

Your ferrous cement designs are best suited for here because of costs. I am working on a design that will have a fish tank, grow bed troughs and a four part filter system all done in Ferrous cement. I am looking at inexpensive ways of water proofing the system.