Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Aquaponics with Vermiponics

Hey, if it works and you are having fun, don't stop doing what you're doing!

Members

i want what i am doing to be the best for the time and cost invested, whatever it takes. without a doubt aquaponics as a system is unequaled. i believe it can be better. excess worms are excellent food for the fish, cutting feed cost. the perfect system is where it becomes perpetual, fish and worms feed plants, plants and worms feed fish, fish and plants (possibly worms very high in protein) feed caretakers. maybe a part of the system should be aquatic plants to supplement the diet of the fish, (besides duckweed), these same plants may also serve as food for humans. the possibilities are endless, the goal is to produce a system that will help us and others becomes selfsustaining. i take all of this very seriously.

Humans eat duckweed, and in fact it's great in salads (not that I would know personally). Aquaponics is without a doubt very sustainable. I'm not sure about the context of your statement as aquaponics being unequaled. In what respect, and in comparison to what? I can think of equal ways to grow or even better. It also depends on the context. Anyway, food for thought (pun intended). I am glad to see you are so dedicated to aquaponics!

Members

the focus is still on developing methods of helping myself and others to become more selfsuficient, with that success it will provide encouragement for them to push on.

i have seen commercial hi-tech hydroponic set-ups there is no way to equal their growth and product with bioponics or aquaponics that is a different world. we aren't using CO2 generators, DO injectors, high intensity lighting 12/12 to 22/24, we aren't using ultra filtration and RO when recycling the effluent, etc. We are dealing with a different segment as you know and in that arena aquaponics is it. meat and potatoes; ok, lettuce. better yet tomatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, and peas.

so back to anyone else experimenting combining vermiponics and aquaponics, a match made in heaven.

I've seen hydroponic setups with less equipment than aquaponics. In fact, the most commonly used technology here in Florida has no moving parts or electricity. There is less start-up cost, operating cost, and it has a smaller footprint. The cost of operating the system is minimal and yields high profits. I believe some people even manage to do this organically. Again, it depends what the context is.

Members

A big plus for Florida residents is the weather. I have free access to all of the organic nutrients I can possibly use, I know they are out there, but that isn't self sustaining. A major problem is utilities.
    I don't know at what point you consider a business profitable. To me a profitable business produces a decent income and strong profit margin for growth.
    High tech profitable hydroponic systems are pulling five and six crops a year. Or as in the flower industry a continuous crop year round.

Yep, the weather is not too shabby.

Yes, you can have a business model that requires all the bells and whistles as far as technology is concerned, but if you can do it without all the extra technology, why wouldn't you? I am a firm believer in low start-up cost and low operating cost, and there's nothing anyone can do to change that. Over 10 years of business EXPERIENCE and a fine tuned EDUCATION support my beliefs. But, to each his own!

Members

urbanfarmer my plan is not to produce a high tech system for folks to fail with. this is not a business for me, i don't need another business. it is a way to become selfsustaining and that maybe i can help some folks get by a little better. what i am doing with my bucket garden and in the greenhouse is testing the limits in low tech for producing the best with the least. your responses sometimes are not relevant.
    by the way i have been involved in several business over the past 46 yrs. becoming a general contrator in '70, commercially breeding fish over the years. when i was involved in college marine biology it was the dark ages even in the early 70's. Oh, i only sleep 4 hrs a night so i have been able to cram more than most in my years.

I am all for low-tech

Members

My plans are to 1) get worms growing healthy in a compost bin 2) move 'em over to a vermiponic system 3) start up aquaponics in the same system, with a few rainbow trout which I can buy from a fish farm about 20 minutes up the road form us. I'll take all the help I can