Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Aquaponics with Vermiponics

i am not referring to adding a few red wrigglers to a grow bed, but where the worm bins actually become an active part of the system.

anyone working with this?

I have set up as part of a total system, 28-5gal buckets each in itself is a worm bin and each contains one plant veggie or flowering

Re: Aquaponics with Vermiponics

I don't understand. How do you have it connected to the aquaponic system? More importantly, why??

Members

additional nutrients and minerals. i will compare the plants those that have the added vermiponics with those that don't.
    the vermiponics is on a drip from a 600 gal goldfish pond.

why not?

I commend your creativity, but I don't think this is particularly efficient or useful...

...because you can get more growing space in terms of area by not having it in the system. Just use those containers on their own. Worm castings are AMAZING to grow in. (I am picturing your buckets sitting on top of gravel that could be used to grow something else).

You don't need Aquaponics if you have enough worm castings to give the plant root space to grow. On the other hand, I let my worms keep the solids from suffocating the roots of my plants. It works very well in my dirty system. When I inspect the roots I always find HUNDREDS of worms in the root mass and the roots look white and smell great.

I haven't tried this, but I have posted about it. The worm bed is positioned above a recirculation system that feeds the plants. Add food to the worms and water liberally. The worm tea drops into the plant system. The key issue is lots of air so the tea doesn't ferment. I'll see if I can find the post.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Oh, he means without fish! Yes, that makes sense now!!! Yes, this replaces the fish component with something else. Peeing is my favorite replacement because I pee every day and it's FREE!!!

Members

No there are two hundred goldfish in the 600 gal pond. The only decent looking plants that I have seen have had suplimental nutrients. The worms are to replace the supliments

My plants are fine, but I did freak out and use chelated iron... so that's kind of cheating, but to be honest it DID NOT change their appearance. The slight chlorosis is still there (I even foilar sprayed with a different liquid fert with no response over a week period), but it has not seemed to affect their growth, budding, or fruiting ONE BIT. I will probably never waste money on it again because the plants are growing too much. They have grown OUT of the grow bed onto the floor and trellis. I would say there is 300% more plants than there is space for them in the grow bed. About the same size of grow bed is being used up on the floor by a few tomato and cucumber plants... I have to keep adding trellis space... it's fun!

Members

the plants will receive just a little more fish water then they need so a small amount will return to the pond. i have everything from orchids to flowering bulbs to veggies growing in just aquaponics. possibly because the system has been up for just a few months the results have varied. the nitrates have been 40-over 80 ppm. The romaine lettuce was normal size a little pale but, not much substance (a raft system) 40ppm nitrates. i believe with a little help from their friends, the worms, the plants will do much better. using a basic aquaponic system, i want to find the amount of nutrients the worms can provide to bring the level of production equivilant to a good organic raised bed. i don't feel that this takes away from aquaponics, just maybe will improve the system.
    it doesn't cost much to add vermiculture into the mix for a family that is in need of having good food. a lot of the waste that their family produces can be used to grow their worms. some of the nutrients produced by the worms can enhance quality of the veggies that they are producing.
    my raised beds were 8'x16' x 8" high. to start i would fill them with horse stable shaving, manure, and hay 3' high. i would then seed the beds with redwrigglers within a couple of months the beds were level. i did not wait for the composting, the worms of course could not stand the heat, they would start at the outside and work their way to the center. these beds produced the best veggies i have ever grown, but it took a lot of room.