Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacu and you

Re: Pacu and you

Basil1, as I previously stated. The Oscar was relocated...as in I no longer own it. I traded it out for a beer fridge for my garage. I don't want to eat Oscars, though I am sure some people do. And keeping my beer cold was more important. And NO it's not a WONDER, they commonly attain that size provided food and room to grow.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

sounds like you're doing quite a bit, wish i could visit, but my traveling days are somewhat limited..

i don't think anyone was trying to disrespect you.. but i do know, we all like pictures.. (i've been quite slack in that area myself)

best of luck!

Okay, I can understand that. A picture is worth a thousand words. And via online pics are sure cheaper than air fare.
    So how can I help? I am an open book here. What do you want to know?
    Oh, and as for the GB I am using simple white gutters. Some say "too shallow". And that's not quite accurate. Plants like strawberries, have very shallow roots, and really appreciate being hot. The more sun and heat the sweeter the berry. Hydroton is the bed material, and it's set up as combination of the ebb and flow and the river bed. The gutters are secured between vertical posts, but with a grade. A series of float switches turn the pumps on and off. Allowing the roots to get wet, and air out. This may not be the "best" way. But I have over 100 ft of gutters, and it works for me. This works good for basil, and lettuce as well. Come spring, I will try pumpkins and grapes.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

The hydroton keeps the bacteria and such going, which is great. But sucks for water clarity as it always seem to have dust particles and such coming off. To fix this...and I am super cheap, some call it ghetto...but anyway. I went to walmart and bought the NON biodegradable quilt batting. Like a $1.50 yard. Before returning to the pond, the water is pumped over the batting and it picks out the larger particles. When it stops working, rinse it out. Can reuse it several times before having to replace it. Cheap/easy and it works. How often you change it depends on how nasty your water is.

Members

i was thinking of trying that for some filtration material..
    i'm just starting to plan my larger indoor system, i've had an 8' kiddie pool full of water in the basment next to my "ap system" so i just had to throw minnows and crayfish in, but the pool will be my main fish tank when i get going..
    after the yellow perch and bluegill move into the big system, i'll have five 55 gallon glass fishtanks, and one 120 gal glass tank to play mad scientist with..
    right now i'm thinking 1 daphnia/green tank (to feed the minnows) 2 minnnow/crayfish tanks, one tank for baby minnows, and one tank for breeding the crayfish.. that still leaves me two tanks, so maybe glass shrimp in one.. and maybe fingerlings for the big system in the big glass tank..
    i'm in northeast ohio, we had our first hard frost last night... last winter the temps in the basement tanks never really got below 65, not too cold, but not warm enough for many fish.. i'm enjoying working with "local" fish and inverts.. every system is a challenge, but my wife thinks this is the best hobby i've had..

You are very lucky to be able to have perch. The Yellow Perch is dissapearing in the great lakes area. I was born and rasied in the NW, hung out at the salmon hatcheries with my dad as a kid. Anyways, I learned about the perch from him and still recall catching them. Too warm here.
    Stick with the perch. Easy to breed but will eat crays when big enough. They are a little slow growing though compared to warm water. Cold water holds more disolved oxygen and the metabolisms of most cold water fish are slower so you can pack more of them into the same area.
    Being a shallow pool, with huge amount of surface area, you can really do a lot. You can also run trout in there, but rainbows and cutthroats are prone to jumping so you would need to put egg crate down as a safety lid. Which you may want to anyway, as it protects the fish from having things accidently dropped in there. My little ones are always "helping".
    To make more perch faster, try an air powered egg tumbler. The african cichlid sites and google have several DIY options. TX won't let me do it yet, so I am looking at investing in another facility. But I am almost ready for paddlefish.

and WHEN, however far down the road that is, that I am able to do that, I most definetly will be doing the Yellow Perch as well. Nice sweet, white, flaky meat. Just got alot of bones.

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Basil1, as I previously stated. The Oscar was relocated...as in I no longer own it. I traded it out for a beer fridge for my garage. I don't want to eat Oscars, though I am sure some people do. And keeping my beer cold was more important. And NO it's not a WONDER, they commonly attain that size provided food and room to grow.
    That's what I want a pic of, and proof to backup your claim of this being a common size. Never seen one hit the 14-16 inch size some sites claim, 12 inches generally being the max under ideal conditions.

As to my "aggressive attitude" as you put it, just asking for proof of your claims as you just jumped in as an expert, giving advice on two year old threads and quoting facts about fish that are extremely common from the first website you run across. Do some research on them yourself.

If you are really as knowledgable as you state, then I apologize and welcome. But be prepared to back up your statements with more than a random website.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Never said I was an expert. Just not the average aquarist. And this is not the first website I have come across.
    I can't give you a pic of the oscar, as I no longer own it. I have made this abundantly clear.
    Would a pic of a comparable tilapia work for you?

I will get you pics of whatever it is you want...as long as I still am in possesion of it. Considering the situation, I feel that this is more than tolerant on my behalf.
    You decide if I am an expert or not, I never claim to be....I don't have a definable definition of it to fall back on. What I can tell you, is that I know what I am doing with MY operation, the parts I don't I am actively researching. What I do, and how I do it are probably not the best. BUT IT WORKS....so who are you to tell me I am wrong, or otherwise don't know what I am talking about? You know me from what? A one page rant? Get stuffed is the first response that comes to my mind. I am very well tempted to tell you to find your own solutions. But that would be counter productive to what I am trying to provide to this board.
    What I do have though, is plenty of evidence that the Pacu is viable if you have room for it, and the skill/ability to make it work. This is something that is backed by scientific fact.
    Locals insisted I couldn't keep a 3 ft nurse shark either. But I did.
    No I don't have a pic of it, it was years ago, and it was donated to a public aquarium when I grew tired of the increased electrical bills, and the increase costs in making salt water. My point is, just because a book sais you can't, doesn't mean you can't...just means that to the best knowledge of the author there's no way to do it. I grew up reading that the neon tetra couldn't be bred in captivity, yet here we are today with it being bred like crazy. My point is in all of this discussion, is that it's inappropriate to jump to conclusions on anything, regardless if its what someone sais, has or believes if you will not do your own research or ask the appropriate questions. Attacking first only gets you the Hawaiian Good Luck symbol. You're here because you ask questions, and you want to learn/discuss what works and doesn't in an effort to dispell the misinformation out there. What I say works for me. I don't know if it will work for you or not. And most of it I can't tell you why it works. I can theorize, but that's about it. I am not a biochemist. That's why I ask two universities the parts I need help with. That's why I email Travis Hughes....I don't know it all. But what I do know, I know because I did it, and probably killed a crap load of fish learning it. IF my explanations are inadequate for you, a non-moderator, than that's unfortunate, but ultimately TOO BAD. I have already answered some quandries for some people here. My answers were good enough for them. Your arrogance is appalling. I would prefer it, if you would leave me alone. You have nothing to say that I want to hear. I am usually not this blunt, but I have had enough. Please understand....you are offensive. Thank you.