Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacu and you

Re: Pacu and you

Found this on Buzzle.com
    Pacu fish care becomes a herculean task when it comes to breeding them in aquariums. This is because of their huge size and prey hunting instincts. But commercially, they are a big success and are bred in massive fish tanks.

To breed pacu fish, the tanks must have a capacity to hold minimum 50 gallons of water for juveniles and at least 200 gallons of water for adults. The tank water must be filtered regularly and the temperature should be maintained between 23 - 28ºC. Also the pH balance of water must be maintained between 6.5 - 7 and the hardness up to 20 dH. It is recommended that fish tanks have enough hiding places as these fish have prey hunting habits. Juvenile pacu fish enjoys the company of other fish but as they mature, they tend to become solitary by nature. But generally, they have a mild temperament and get along well with other species like Oscar fish and Clown Knife fish. At times, pacu fish are also bred in indoor ponds.

Tonight I will see where I can find 50 or so of these. Any ideas please let me know.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    Found this on Buzzle.com
    Pacu fish care becomes a herculean task when it comes to breeding them in aquariums. This is because of their huge size and prey hunting instincts. But commercially, they are a big success and are bred in massive fish tanks.

To breed pacu fish, the tanks must have a capacity to hold minimum 50 gallons of water for juveniles and at least 200 gallons of water for adults. The tank water must be filtered regularly and the temperature should be maintained between 23 - 28ºC. Also the pH balance of water must be maintained between 6.5 - 7 and the hardness up to 20 dH. It is recommended that fish tanks have enough hiding places as these fish have prey hunting habits. Juvenile pacu fish enjoys the company of other fish but as they mature, they tend to become solitary by nature. But generally, they have a mild temperament and get along well with other species like Oscar fish and Clown Knife fish. At times, pacu fish are also bred in indoor ponds.

Tonight I will see where I can find 50 or so of these. Any ideas please let me know.
    Here is an idea, don't. Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. 200 gallons will not even cover the first year of growth. Mine grew from 2-3 inches to 18-20 inches in about 6-7 months. They are called tank busters for a reason. And spawning works on an industrial scale in enormous ponds, not an aquarium. You would also have to hit all the stores in your area to find that many at once. Then they would just get more and sell them to others who would not be able to care for them and end up suffering or being released.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

I would completely agree with you that they are not for the average aquarists who has a 50-75 gallon tank. Also, I am not considering putting these in a tank nor am I an average aquarist. I wouldn't intend to harvest these probably until about 25-30 inches long. I just relocated a 20 inch plus Oscar, and I find the larger fish are easier to work with. Example...Tilapia under about 3" are rather irritating as they constantly get caught in intakes, skimmers, jumping, birds eat em, etc. However the 12"+ are completly the opposite. I don't have the same problems with them jumping, though not sure why on that. They just don't. No problems with plumbing, birds don't eat them. Raccoons don't even mess with them at that size. And I can catch them on rod and reel when I want to eat one.
    A little attention to detail and these could be viable.....for me. They are not for everyone.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

P.S. They would all be eaten. This is not a public aquarium, they are here to be eaten. Just as my Tilapia, Channel Catfish, Flat heads, Bass, etc are.

I want to see pics of your pond big enough for 50 pacu and I desperately want to see a picture of a 20 inch oscar. Next to a measuring tape for proof. And if you are such an advanced aquariast, why did you need boggle to tell you about pacu? And repeat info you should know to be false.
    People cry because they are sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, and that makes me sad.

How about you come and tour my facility? Consider this an open invitation.

Make that an open invitation for anyone interested. We are currently moving the Tilapia inside from the outdoor ponds due to cold front going through...so things are a little hectic. But I have nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by foodchain
    How about you come and tour my facility? Consider this an open invitation.
    Pics of your facility and the wonder oscar would suffice.

okay...what exactly do you want pictures of? I am in the process of creating/expanding a polyculture setup, primarily with freshwater prawns and Tilapia. I have been working with a proffessor in HI, and UVI as consults on every step of this operation. There's a lot going on. I have several species that I am working with though, and we are not just limited to the Tilapia or Prawns. What exactly do you want me to photograph that would convince you of my credibility and end this vulgar petiness? I came here to volunteer info, nothing more. The above info provided isn't innacurate, you should be able to keep Pacu at 200 gallons per adult. Why wouldn't you? Size is not the limiting factor so much as volume/surface area. Example: You can put more fish of equal size in a shallow large surface area aquarium/pond than a tall small surface area even though they are the same volume. Assuming all other factors are the same. This is true with most aquatic species. The greater the surface area the greater the gasious exchange.
    Now I have already extended an open invitation for you to visit, and you won't. Now this is getting out of hand. So I ask again, as I am erroring on losing my patience. What exactly is it you want from me, so that I can prove my credibility?
    Our large ponds are terraced, one flowing into the next. The lowest one being semi-submerged to aid in insulation and heat loss. For the warm water species, we keep them out doors 9months or so a year to take advantage of the climate. So, the Pacu would be possible, IF it can attain an edible size in 9 months +/-. Which by your above post IS possible, though more research needs to be done to determine IF this is due more to your warmer temps and longer season or to the food/environment you provided. This is a recirculating system, some people call it a "closed", I believe it is more of a semi closed system. Prawns take 4-5 months here to mature, I don't spawn them, but purchase post larvae and growout. Tilapia are a summer crop too, with us wintering over the breeders. There's no chance of escape into local waters as I am miles from a hyrdrologically connected body of water. NONE of these are sold/purchase by anyone. This is a personal operation, personally financed, and until I work the bugs out is nothing more than an expensive hobby that I HOPE to make something of someday. I came here to share what small amount of knowledge I have that I have accrued over years of mistakes. Do the math, I am 32 now, breeding fish since 6 years old = 26 years. I suppose you want a picture of the Pineapple Sword tail I bred at 6? Utterly insulting. I came here in the hopes that it might help a newer adict to this hobby be less of a fish killer than I was when I started. And to learn something that someone else might no better than I, as GOD knows I don't know it all. But this is going south very quickly. I have knowledge I can share, that I have learned from making a lot of mistakes.....for instance Vitamin C can be used for removing chlorine from normal tap water, bypassing the expensive dechlorinators from the retail store. I have the doses for doing that, and have USED it myself to know that it's not just BS. Garlic can be used for inducing feeding in new arrivals or recovery of fish that don't want to eat. As well as fighting infections/disease as it boosts the imune system. Hard to spawn fish can be induced when nothing else works by taking water from tanks that fish readily spawn and mixing it with the non spawner water. There's a hormone or something in the water that tells the non spawners to get busy. OR you can order a hormone extract but most of those don't really work and are expensive. I know, I have done it. This does. I do not appreciate your excessively aggressive and condenscending approach. I came here to volunteer, to help...and I am utterly astonished at your conduct. So...one last time, since you insist on pushing this issue and won't grace us with your presence, what EXACTLY do you want a picture of?

I would be more curious about WHY a fish that is a reported vegetarian has gone to being a carnivor in the Sepik river, and attacking people. And WHY a peacefull, vegetarian fish exhibits prey hunting habits?
    Multiple sites, courtesy of google repeat the above statements. So why? Is it possible that they are more along the lines of targets of opportunity? Similar to catfish who eat anything that doesn't seem to eat them first. If someone has more info, or insight along these lines I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.